TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lexus SC300 - SC400 front suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greg55_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lexus SC300 - SC400 front suspension
    Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 11:23am
I hope I'm not offending anyone. I've posted this on the Mopar A-body board and I thought it might make interesting reading over here.   I found these pics posted some years ago of a gent that took a tape measure to Lexus SC400 front frame rails to gauge how wide the pull out IFS was for use in a 240Z car. It's pretty close to a Mopar A-body so it might also work with a Gremlin/Javelin/Hornet. Also, the SC400 has the same 5 X 4.5" wheel bolt pattern as Mopars. These are cheap on Craigslist. Also stuff like a-arms can be directly swapped with less expensive Supra items from the same years.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/lexus-sc300-sc400-front-suspension.368880/

Greg
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 12:22pm
There is a Lexus SC300 engine swap going on in a thread as well. If I had another Javelin, the Ford Crown Vic IFS would be my choice. The Lexus IFS is nice but too squishy on the front coil over for me, after all the Lexus is a smaller and lighter car. The Crown Vic is big and heavy, thus the suspension is stout.

Either way both should fit... the problem I see is the lack of proper measuring procedure. I bet with my customized AMC/Ford suspension setup, my front tire outer measurements will be about the same as pictured with the Crown Vic IFS.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
70Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 3:11pm
Lexus SC300/400 suspension is the same as a mark IV Supra. Im interested in this because I also own a lexus SC300, and am definitely interested in upgrading my AMC's brakes and suspension 

304-dude a stock Javelin weighs 2,800, a stock crown vic weighs 4,100 and a stock  SC300 weighs 3,400 also Javelins and SC300 are sports cars. To me the SC300 would be better suited if it works 
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431219
Greg55_99 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg55_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 3:26pm
Time to break out the tape measure. What's the outside to outside width of the Javelin frame rails?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by 70Javelin360 70Javelin360 wrote:

Lexus SC300/400 suspension is the same as a mark IV Supra. Im interested in this because I also own a lexus SC300, and am definitely interested in upgrading my AMC's brakes and suspension 

304-dude a stock Javelin weighs 2,800, a stock crown vic weighs 4,100 and a stock  SC300 weighs 3,400 also Javelins and SC300 are sports cars. To me the SC300 would be better suited if it works 

unless you strip down a humpster to a bare interior and such its going to weigh about the same as the sc300.

since the crown vic and javelin are higher center of gravity, thus a bit top heavy.  the sc300 suspension leaves less room to play with.

them mopar guys have crummy torsion bar setups... a 69 trunion setup would fix that as well. 
plus a ford rack is easier to setup. 

just my opinion, not to discredit, just i see more options to tweak without spending a lot on custom offset wheels.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
70Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

unless you strip down a humpster to a bare interior and such its going to weigh about the same as the sc300.

since the crown vic and javelin are higher center of gravity, thus a bit top heavy.  the sc300 suspension leaves less room to play with.

them mopar guys have crummy torsion bar setups... a 69 trunion setup would fix that as well. 
plus a ford rack is easier to setup. 

just my opinion, not to discredit, just i see more options to tweak without spending a lot on custom offset wheels.

yea idk enough about suspension geometry to know which one would be better, also I'm not sure which one has more travel or which has lower ride height, nor do i know the center of gravity on any of these cars. 

yea youre right about those MOPAR guys having a more difficult time with there torsion bars and thank god mines a 70 so i dont have to deal with trunion setup.

custom offset wheels really dont cost that much more depending on your wheel choice.

I would be interested in doing this to my 76 Hornet drag car for the affordability and larger aftermarket, plus i already have a SC300 parts car
my other option is Control Freaks coilover kit and wilwood brakes which will be around $3,000

I just dont wanna build a junkyard hobcobbled hoopty so unless someone can prove the sc300/supra suspension is large improvement and not just a cheap alternative. I'm just going to save my money for control freaks and wilwood
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431219
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:42am
Trunnions aren't that bad -- just lack caster (can only get about 3 degrees before they start binding). The rubber 64-69 American/Jav/AMX trunnions can be a problem if old, but once rebuilt with urethane inserts you're pretty much set. The big car upper trunnions have never been a real problem like the small car -- no rubber/urethane inserts on them.

Adding rack and pinion steering is a big job unless you use a different front suspension, whether it be a junkyard DIY, MII, or something like Control Freaks kit. Can get pricey.

Both the late Crown Vic and the Lexus suspensions are interesting -- CV for the 71-74 Javelin and larger (don't think it will fit American or Hornet derivatives). Thought the Lexus might be a bit of a problem after first photo due to struts, but the struts don't pivot, just used as shocks. Unless the angle it needs to be is an issue the strut can easily be retained, no coil overs needed. That is if the springs aren't too large in diameter. Hmm... installed height could be an issue as well, the upper spring seat might be too high or low in the AMC even if diameter isn't an issue. Could try different springs, custom springs (coilsprings.com should be able to do that...), or even a different strut. Of course coil overs are an option, but there would be a good deal of fab work to make a mount.

Easy coil over top mount would be to cut a disc that fit the upper spring seat, weld in a couple studs to bolt it in (maybe use the shock mount holes?). To that would be welded an extension going down (tubing) with another disc welded on to fit lower in the spring tower. Weld the upper shock mount to the bottom of the lower disc. Use a threaded coupler in the round tubing and it could be adjustable... more so than just the coil over shock adjustment...
Frank Swygert
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 8:33am
When I took my 69 Javelin trunnions apart they were scrap and I had to get new housings. Looking at the design I thought it was poor to say the least so instead of urethane or hard rubber I made bronze bearing inserts and added grease channels and fittings - also moves grease to the thrust bearing. The ride is not hard, steering feels really, really good and I believe I'll never have to touch these again. Cost was $30 in material and 2 hours machining.
Trunnions are not bad at all, 60 - 70MPH on a windy road is just plain fun. Just don't get caught!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 6:27am
That's the best fix -- but 2 hours of machine shop time can be expensive for those of us who would have to pay for it. As you stated, that's a lifetime fix though. The urethane insert works pretty much the same though. The entire bushing turns in the housing, so you don't torque it down like the original, just snug it up. But if someone made a bronze bushing available I'm sure it would sell. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic