TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lifters and pushrods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifters and pushrods
    Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 11:07am
Alright guys, I have another question for my 1969 AMC Javelin 290 engine, I am wanting to replace the lifters and pushrods, and I am not intending on changing out the cam shaft, what replacement lifters should I purchase for the 290?
Bill Lang
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 11:18am
If not replacing the cam, which I don't recommend, I would have to say spend the money on the Comp Cams 2901-1 lifters that have an oiling hole for the cam lobes.
Comp should provide the recommended rod for these lifters.
I would certainly take a good look at the cam lobes before making a call on not replacing the cam.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 12:07pm
EDM lifters are for solid cam applications. 

I use Johnson Hylift for all my builds
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 12:10pm
Trader, to replace the cam, don't I have to pull the heads and also remove the distributor and timing chain cover and timing set?
Bill Lang
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 12:32pm
To replace the cam you don't need to pull the heads. You do need to remove the distributor, rockers, lifters, push rods, water pump, timing cover, timing gears + rad, grill and hood latch bracket for extracting the cam.
You may not need to remove the grill and hood latch bracket to get the cam out but the extra room to work is worth extra effort. Makes cleaning and re-assembly easier also.

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 2:23pm
Elgin ProStock #HL-2011 Hydraulic Lifters for AMC V8 are a decent economical Lifter for AMC's.
New Lifters on an old Cam has been done successfully but it IS a Crap Shoot...
Elgin offers quite a bit of decent "industrial grade" engine stuff for AMC's, kinda "low profile", non-commercial...
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 2:38pm
Phat69, I am confused on why I cannot just replace the lifters without replacing the cam?  
Bill Lang
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 2:57pm
Oh man it's as simple as they are metal-to-metal DIRECT RUBBING STEEL CONTACT under spring load.
They're critical, hardness, metallurgy, contour, etc, I'm amazed they work and live at all, but they do.
With 1st initial start-up the surfaces have to Lap into one another and get "cozy"...
AND the Lifters have to Rotate in the block lifter bores, just a little bit with each lobe actuation...
If all is coppasetic then they will "mate-up" and survive, but a LOT can go wrong, and
if it does it wipes out one or more cam lobes and lifter bottoms and sends fillings all through motor.
But new lifters on an old cam have been done successfully, it's just really a crap shoot
maybe more so nowadays with the "global market" and wider variances in material specs and quality.
In the old days when everything was good quality American Made steel chances were better imho...
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 3:22pm
So are Mellons OEM lifters a good bet for compatability
Bill Lang
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 4:59pm
Have no experience with Melling brand if that's the brand you're asking about...
$53.00 total with free shipping for (16) Elgin AMC V8 Hyd Lifters on eBay from Falcon Global, in TN...
May be able to get a CAM & Lifter Elgin Kit from Falcon Global for maybe $150 total...

Yeah, $144.40 with Free Shipping Elgin AMC V8 Camsgaft & Lifters...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jul/16/2018 at 5:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic