TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t57f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lights
    Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 6:56pm
any help here i have all new bulbs 4 new headlamps 2 turn signals 2 backup bulbs and 2 new brake bulbs i have hi lo beam all set with that i have running lights in rear but no brake light when i step on pedal i also have no back up lights and no turn signals also sometimes i have to put it in neutral to start it i know the backup lamps use that safety switch its not all the time that i have to put it in neutral.does the car have to running for turn signals? or backup lamps have carb off right now.let me know where to look i am going to get new fuses tommorow ill try that first.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 8:31pm
Tony, What are we working on someone may have gone thru this on theirs.

Now lets see if we can help a little. IIRC you don't have a TSM yet right? On most cars you have to have the key to run/on but motor does not need to be running for turn & B/U lights to work. Now it may also need to be on for the brake lights to work too as I think some older cars were that way?

I know one of the big things of our cars is poor connections at the fuse panel between fuse holders & fuses because of corrosion. Disconnect batt. and using fine sand paper clean the holder and all fuse ends. Might be best to replace the fuses with new ones. Before you install the fuses pinch the holders together a little to grip the fuse better.
Now see what happens and if still the same you will need to dig deeper.
Do you have power into the brake light switch and if so do you have power out when on the brake peddle? if not in you will have to trace back to find out why. If yes in but not out replace the switch.

Now for turn lights the turn switch could have corrosion on the contacts like the fuses. Sometimes you can spray cleaner and work the switch to get it clean but if not you will need to pull the wheel off.
Also may want to check if you have power going into the turn switch. If not trace back why not and fix it. If you have power in check how it goes out and trace it all the way to the bulbs.
Did you replace the flasher it could be bad and why no lights.

NSS out of adjustment could be why not B/U lights. Again do you have power in to & out of the NSS or B/U light switch?
That should keep you busy
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
t57f100 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t57f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 11:38pm
65 amc rambler classic 660 232 6 4 door oopppps sorry
t57f100 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t57f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 11:42pm
have the tsm as well will be on the hunt for all options you have listed and thanks 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 8:47am
Even though you put in new bulbs you may not have good contact in the sockets. The springs get stuck or corroded. Remember that the brake lights and turn signals use the same element in the 1157 bulb. You could disconnect at the plug in connector and apply power to make sure the socket and light are OK. Your park lights work so your ground should be OK.

A good place to check for back up light power is right at the connector where the  wire bundle enters the unibody, midway up the drivers door post. IIRC the wires are brown and brown with black trace. Its easy to follow them back from the NSS. Don't mess with the neutral safety switch if you don't have to other than repositioning it on the column. They are very fragile and pretty well obsolete. I broke mine just pushing the spade connector back on.

All the stuff Dave suggested is good advice. 
t57f100 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t57f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 2:53pm
will do
t57f100 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t57f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 2:54pm
have the tsm but hard time locating the blinker under the dash wow i got you guys busy trying to help me get busy
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 5:17pm
The flasher element should be held on by a spring clip on the back of the instrument cluster. Look in the Electrical section of your TSM and there should be a picture of the cluster. Your brake switch should be a pressure switch attached to the bottom of the master cylinder.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
t57f100 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t57f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 10:48am
update i saw location of flasher does anybody else find theirs is a little slow or is it me.just want to say thanks thanks thanks and thanks for all the help we now have low beam hi beam signals and the rest of all the external lights except for the l/plate which i will work on another time but thanks again
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 11:15am
Originally posted by t57f100 t57f100 wrote:

update i saw location of flasher does anybody else find theirs is a little slow or is it me.
If it is the original flasher unit you have to remember their operation is mechanical and is based on thermal load. Age will slow them down or kill them. You can either put in a like replacement or switch to an electronic replacement like an EL12. Triton makes an EL12 electronic unit that produces a loud "clicking" sound if you want to retain the stock sound of the mechanical version.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic