TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Long-Throw 4 Spd Handle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long-Throw 4 Spd Handle
    Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 12:44pm
Has anyone ever restored a AMC Long-Throw 4-Speed Shifter-Rod?  If so, how do you take the Lockout knob and get the Cable off to rechrome it; in other words disassemble it for rechroming?

Thank you in advance for your help and please supply pictures if you have them!

Jeff
Jeff's 69 AMX Restoration Project
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 4:26pm
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 6:59pm
Jeff, the Inland style shift handle is held to the shift mechanism by two bolts. Remove the bolts to remove the lever, unscrew the knob and chrome retainer. The reverse lock-out ring is held in place by a roll-pin through the reverse ring that must be driven out. That roll-pin also retains one end of the reverse lock out wire.
Mike
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 12:06pm
This is a "how do I" not a "what is the proper finish" question so moved to where it belongs.

Thanks for noticing.......

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 12:02pm
I haven't done one in a while but IIRC you need to remove the upper spring pin and lockout ring, pull the  pawl and release wire down as much as possible at the bottom and heat the pawl with a torch to melt the brazing and pull it off.  I don't know if a propane torch will work,  I used oxy-acetylene.  I don't think you can disassemble without removing the brazed pawl but I may be incorrect.

You'll have to braze it again to replace it and it'd be a good idea to replace the wire while you have it apart.  Don't build up too much copper where the lockout plastic bushing goes.  Pay attention to the coil springs inside when you disassemble.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic