TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 44>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost Dealership Project
    Posted: Sep/19/2007 at 1:22pm
As an AMC history buff I have finally decided to find all of the former AMC dealerships in the Cleveland/Akron area. Last weekend Marlene, the kids and I struck out with a camera to photograph what these dealerships look like now.

I can remember several local AMC dealers from way back (including the one I worked at) but I know that there were a lot more around here over the years. Eddie Stakes' list is some help but it is apparently from the early 1980's and many of the older ones don't appear. So the search continues...

I am posting my findings on The AMC Heritage Forum in the Dealerships section, eventually these will be sorted by zone to make them easier to find. If you want to take a look visit http://www.forum.route66rambler.com/index.php?board=43.0

If a project like this interests you why not take a day to document some of these former AMC "shrines" in your area. You never know what you may find!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
d7javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d7javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2007 at 2:24pm
Don't think I've got any picutres of the dealership in my home town.  It's gone now, the roof fell in years ago.  I do remember seeing the sales awards for Hudson and Nash from 1940 and '46 hanging on the wall!  They had 3 junkyards in town and even those have been smoothed over.

They really pushed the sales of performance AMC's early on.  One brother told me that the only hi-po AMCs that they never sold new were the SC/Rambler and SS/AMX.  And he did sell a used SC car.  That all came to an end after several accidents resulted in a couple of locals getting killed in what the police refered to as "those souped-up Nashes"  

Edited by d7javelin - Sep/19/2007 at 2:25pm
Eagle Kammback View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle Kammback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2007 at 9:18pm
I tried very hard to find pictures or old signs from a few in my area, but they didn't have any
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2007 at 10:23pm
Scott, What zone was the Cleveland dealers out of, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, other? I have a pretty big list of dealers out of both the Pittsburgh and the Buffalo zones. problem is, like everything else, I don't know where it is....

Edited by 71SC360 - Sep/19/2007 at 10:24pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2007 at 3:10am
Researching the local dealers is something I would like to do, too.  I have gone so far as to track down the previous owner of the nearest ex-AMC dealership.  He now owns dealerships in Seaside and Monterey.  His ex-service manager said he has a pile of photos of the old dealership with Gremlins and Hornets out on the lot.  Gotta git er done.....soon I hope.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2007 at 3:10am
I'm not sure what zone this was, I'll have to look that up!

Kammback, I am photographing all of the locations even if the building is no longer there. One of the FIVE different AMC dealerships that I know about here in town is now a public parking lot. That happens to be the place where I bought my first car back in 1980.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2007 at 11:42am
That vertical sign would be a score. It's likely someone just slapped some paint over the American Motors lettering and logo. With some care, the paint could likely be stripped off to reveal the original sign. 
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
Eagle Kammback View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle Kammback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2007 at 11:46am
I would love to have an original verticle sign, or even a replica
d7javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d7javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2007 at 3:15pm
My home town dealer pulled down the signs from the building and hauled them to his junkyard... where I picked them up and took them home, 20 years ago!Wink  I stashed them away and almost forgot that I had them until last summer.  Looks good up on the wall!
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2007 at 10:39pm
I just picked up one of the vertical signs a few months ago. It is broken (about 1' missing of the end) but for $5 it was still a good deal. I'll be hanging in my shop once I get my concrete floor, in a week or two...

I can take some pix of former local dealers. I know where there are about 5 or 10 that still exist. Well, the original buildings do (in their original form) but they are used for other purposes now. I was thinking I would do that a few years back mut I never got around to taking the pix..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 44>
  Share Topic