TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M12/Bell Housing atchmt to Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M12/Bell Housing atchmt to Engine
    Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 2:10am
So, it's midnight Seattle time. I've recently been losing sleep over the mating of my tranny/bell housing/engine, and specifically, if the torque converter snout went into the crank bushing properly.

When I installed the tranny, I mated the tranny to the bell, installed the torque converter onto the transmission input shaft, verifying it went all the way.   

I then mated the bell to the engine with the 4 four bolts on the torque converter sliding directly into the flex plate holes. I installed the nuts to the TC, tightened.   It went all together quite smoothly.

Now that I've installed the engine/drive train into the car, I'm nagging over the TC being aligned into the crank bushing.

if the TC bolts went directly and smoothly into the flex plate, the TC being flush with the flex plate, is there a worry or major concern?

I think I know my AMX inside and out, but this one is really eating at me.

Thanks   Greg

Greg E.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 2:18am
I think the only thing you need to be aware of is if you have the mid-plate installed between the transmission and engine block.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 8:53am
There is a crank bushing for the M12 TC.  If the TC hadn't aligned with the bushing, you would never have gotten it tight to the flex plate without bending the flex plate.  As long as the bushing is there, my guess is that you're OK.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 11:51am
Mid-plate installed, pilot bushing install, alignment pins installed, I also placed the TC into the pilot bushing on the crank to verify fit prior, then removed TC and installed onto the tranny input shaft and then mated to engine.

I hadn’t thought about you comment about the TC being flush with the flex plate without the snout being aligned and in the crank bushing.

I will drag myself under the car and AGAIN verify the TC studs and nuts all have the same threat height and that the TC is flush with FP.

Maybe sleep better tonight.   Appreciate the responses Bob and Darren.

Thanks. Greg
Greg E.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 5:03pm
There should be a little bit of clearance between the torque converter and flex plate with the torque converter pushed all the way back and before you pull it up with the nuts. there is probably a specification for this somewhere, but basically prevents end load on the oil pump, which can cause failure. With all factory parts installed correctly, it should be ok. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the inputs.
Greg E.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 12:51am
Greg it's a Borg unit. The part to worry about is clutchpak quality and fluid level. The giant torque converter is fine. Well, until you need one. Ermm
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 2:46pm
TC is rebuilt, new internals and stall updated to ~2500. Borg rebuilt some time ago.   Will know the results by end of summer.
Greg E.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic