TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mondello Flexplate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mondello Flexplate
    Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 12:48pm
I had these delusion's I was going to be a big time drag racer and acquired a Mondello SFI approved flexplate and had it balaced to my new 401. My first hurdle was converter to flexplate spacing, there was none! Overcame that, assembled everything and now the converter bolts hit the engine block! I don't know what to do the heads of the bolts are .250 thick do I machine the bolts down compromising strength? Can't grind the block for clearance they hit the cam tunnel.Don't know if I can replace the flexplate because of the previous balance. I'm frustrated and at a loss, please any input will help!
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 2:06pm
Ran into this before on a GM. Used grade 8 button head cap screws. They are same strength, torque but have less head height. Got them from an industrial supplier, thinking Lawson's but there will be others.
I agree not to modify a fastener unless it's to shorten it's length. Even then you don't do anything to add substantial heat, like shortening it with a grinder, unless it's purpose is not imperative - exhaust bolt, trim ...  
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 2:57pm
Clean up a good set of the factory bolts. They are plenty stout enough and some red loctite. Not to insult anyone, but is the flex plate correctly installed?

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 4:43pm
ARP and Pioneer both have short head flex plate bolts, but I like Lyle's idea with the button head bolts.
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 6:39pm
I'm going to have the heads of my ARP bolts machined down past any thrust movement of the crank, I was assured by Mondello tech that their inertia wheel flex plate doesn't like the name implies flex. I think I should be OK with that fix but I do thank all for the input.
kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 7:17pm
I run a Mondello flexplate on one of my 401s with no problems standard grade 8 fine tread bolts.

69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 8:14pm
Pretty normal to machine down the bolts is these cases. There are ARP flexplate bolts as well. TH or TF application?

If it's TF for a race application make sure not to use the 5/16" stock bolts. Use Mopar 7/16" crank bolts with a thin head and machine the converter for the bigger thread. A good converter manufacturer knows those little bolts are NFG for race use and supplies 7/16". A little thinning of the head does not hurt.

I've cut the center out of the block plate to get space before as well
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 9:57pm
I was able to use standard grade 8 7/16" bolts with my Mondello TH400 plate. That was even with using two block plates to gain correct converter clearance.
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 4:52am
I had to use 2 block plates with the center cut out for converter clearance. My Mondello flexplate is more toward the block when installed. Dealing with these "race" parts requires a bit of extra massaging at every stage, guess it comes with the territory.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 9:29am
I didn’t need to cut out the center of my block plates. All I can think of is maybe Mondello has changed the design recently. The backside of my flex plate is completely flat. If yours isn’t, I could see how that could cause fitment issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic