TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need help finding this drum brake part..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help finding this drum brake part..
    Posted: Nov/16/2019 at 11:16pm
Hey guys, I just bought a 1965 Rambler 770 Classic with the v8 and I'm trying to get the brakes working.  I'm working on the rear drum brakes and the passenger side is missing what I would call the "brake strut bar".

It is steel and about 7" long by 1" wide and runs horizontally just under the brake cylinder.  It is "forked" on both ends and has a oval spring on one end.

I tried to post a picture of it, but can't seem to figure that out. (do I need 30 posts before I can put pics in ?) 

It looks kinda like this...

]======[

None of the brake hardware kits I've seen carry this "bar".  Any idea where I might get one ?  Are they the same for all AMC 20 rear brake setups ?  I have the 10"x1.75" shoes.  Maybe I can find one in a jeep in the local junkyard ?

Any help would be appreciated.  This is the start of a long road with this car...

-Pat

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 7:39am
The bar you are referring to is for the emergency brakes. It holds the brakes apart when you pull the E cable that is attached at the bottom. It is not supplied in any hardware kit and you will have to find an original part.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 7:43am
Can you determine if your car's brakes are Wagner or Bendix ? A TSM will tell you and likely other members here will know as well. In any event the piece you need is common to the rear brake system of any other brand car that uses the same brake manufacturer. Between those here on the Forum and the numerous AMC vendors you should be able to source that piece that's part of the parking brake system.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 8:36am
If you have the other one perhaps you could post its dimensions. If all else fails, it would be an easy part to make using the other one as a pattern.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Grinch365 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 12:22pm
It looks like I might have found one.  I ordered it on Amazon (part number 16751.06).  Hopefully its the same, or I can modify it to match the one I have.

Thanks guys.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 12:27pm
it's not a wear part/replacement part. How'd it get lost? Wasn't in there when you disassembled? Lol (not funny) crazy stuff happens over the years... helped out a friend with a 62 Classic, that had issues with a rear window winder. Turns out the mechanism wasn't even bolted in, it was all lashed together with baling wire. It blocked the door lock so we had to take door panel out with the door closed. Point is, people do dumb inexplicable s**t to cars!

As mentioned the TSM will tell you bendix or Wagner. also is it 9" or 10" brakes. (Measure the ID of the drum, round to the nearest whole inch.)

There is also a spring that goes on that e-brake rod. It's an anti-rattle spring, like a regular wound spring but flattened into a rounded rectangle. I would carefully inspect and compare against the TSM or even online drawings and make sure you aren't missing other parts. That seems likely to me.

Those woudl be junkyard parts.

I have a new religion I'm trying to convert everyone to! Join me! In throwing out all old brake springs! I used to re-use springs that I'd deemed "OK", but lately I'm finding that to be a worse and worse idea. What was OK at 20 years is a bad idea at 50. I now re-use them when the paint is intact, and not one single winding has a gap from the others, and the ends are not buggered. IOTW, other than a tension test (no specs, can't do) it better look new and perfect.

New brake springs are CHEAP. Like under a buck a piece. In the last month I've spent a couple hours researching brake springs (I told you it was a religion) and can give you part numbers for 9" springs I'm fairly confident are correct (eg. i'm using them and doing so fixed all my remaining scuff and funny-feel problems). I could probably puzzle out 10" parts and give you a high-probability number, that if wrong, will set you back under $10.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 1:54pm
A new religion. Preach! 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I have a new religion I'm trying to convert everyone to! Join me! In throwing out all old brake springs!

Be careful.
You're stepping on the toes of a cult called Rambler mentality.
You may need to change your identity and go into a witness protection program.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 4:24pm
With you on that Tom.  I only buy new springs and bought up a load on Rockauto clearance.  Several box kits for $1.27 each box. 
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Grinch365 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 11:09pm
I was able to get the right e-brake strut bar from Amazon.  For 10" brakes the part number is 16751.06.

It matches the one I have (from the other side) perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic