TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Carb Revving HIGH! PICTURES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad2192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Originally posted by Brad2192 Brad2192 wrote:

I figured it out myself luckily. Guys, I'm 26. And I'm not going to pretend to be a know it all. Didn't come with here with a false ego because my Daddy didn't love me enough, so ya'll can chill out. I've used these before, but I have not encountered any in the shape of a triangle. This is my first AMC project, thank you to all that were helpful. And the others may need to reevaluate their life choices if they thought spending time on a snarky remark to get their willies off was really worth it. Clap
I realized you were a younger guy. Just remember we all started not knowing....and AMC wasnt any differwnt than any other American car back in the day. And Ive worked on all of them.

Thank you very much for the response, that was not directed towards you as your response was just what I needed. I was priding the forum in my last post for being extremely helpful, there's always gotta be THOSE guys though. Anyways, thank you!
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 8:27pm
Just leaving out the needle valve itself will cause high RPM.

I have had a brass carb. float that had a hole in it, it sunk to the bottom of the float bowl and wouldn't close the needle valve .  Engine RPM went very high instantly.   Had to shut the engine down.
Finally figured out what the cause was.  Different exact cause,  but the same effect.

We all make mistakes, that's how we learn.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 11:30pm
i think OP said the needle fell out of the OLD carb, not the new one. right? i confuse. lol.

so you got a new carb, and it "runs away" RPM-wise? any more info on that? i'll assume you can ID the major adjustments:

* idle SPEED screw
* idle MIXTURE screw
* FAST IDLE screw
* choke

those are the main adjustments on any carb. if you're reasonably sure the carb isn't completely nuts, what i would do first is loosen the choke housing and rotate it so that the choke is OFF/OPEN, and inoperable. the engine won't be easy to make idle when it's cold but the choke sets fast idle and that complicates initial shake out. you can easily re-set it later.

back out the idle SPEED screw so the throttle closes all the way. looking closely, turn it in until the screw touches the stop, then another turn, maybe two.

idle MIXTURE screw bottomed, **GENTLY** (two fingers or equiv) then out 1.5 to 2 turns, or wtf the manual sez.

if there's fuel in the carb (you cranked/ran it before) operatring the throttle all the way open should squirt gas, visibly, on the venturi horn down it's throat. which you should be able to see with the choke off.

start the car. if it NOW runs away, somethings very AFU. stop adn regroup.

if you're lucky, it will fire, run for a few seconds, then stall or idle like crap. that's fine. this is the base line from which to tweak the carb into shape.

if you always start from First Principles, you can make any carb go "well enough" with basic knowledge.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

The Anti Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 12:09am
OP has got to be trolling...
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 4:22pm
No, he's not trolling. The float needle fell out of his carburetor and he is unfamiliar with where it goes in the carburetor. 

And I was an asshole to joke about it. I'm sorry and I am ashamed. He is 26 and I am 23. We need each other's help in this community. The classic car community is not kind to young people. Fighting that for years has made me bitter and resentful, which is why I made my snappy remark at him. I became that which I hate: I became an angry bitter car guy holding another car guys' age or inexperience against them. I HATE when people do that to me, and I was a total hypocrite to do that someone else. Sometimes I need a reminder that another young person in the classic car hobby is not my enemy or competitor. They are my ally against true enemies and competitors. 

Sorry for that, Brad2192. I am glad you figured it out on your own and stood up for yourself. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 10:18pm
FSjunkie, you're --> 23 <-- ? oh boy, OPEN SEASON! HORRIBLE YOUNG PERSON! heh heh! lol

i thought  you were older. that could be flattery or an insult. YOU DECIDE.

yeah, it seems most car folk (dangerous generalizing...) go for nostalgia. young people making mistakes doesn't fit into that. i don't really understand nostalgia, i didn't get that gene. ugh, i don't want what i had before, i wanna do new things (sometimes with old stuff, eg. cars, cuz they're hackable. i add software.) i feel like i mostly make mistakes. i have piles of them. just installed my 7th (seventh) instrument panel today). 

i did far dumber stuff, and persisted at it, than just mis-identifying a stupid needle valve. but it was pre-internet, so fewer witnesses.

also, the culture then was a lot more comfortable with the logic of physical stuff, physical problem-solving. today, "kids" (lol) all of the goods, and all of the metaphors, are software constructs. in the 70's, old guys complained that kids were playing with computers instead of radios/electronics, as $DIETY intended. today, it's all clicking on corporate-managed phone-product.

owed fokes should FKN CELEBRATE "young people" messing with physical, actual technology -- it's much harder now for very many reasons including there's simply less of it to mess with.

Edited by tomj - Aug/31/2018 at 10:49pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 12:55am
I'm just reminded of the analogy of the Mule with the Spinning Wheel.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 6:50am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

No, he's not trolling. The float needle fell out of his carburetor and he is unfamiliar with where it goes in the carburetor. 

And I was an asshole to joke about it. I'm sorry and I am ashamed. He is 26 and I am 23. We need each other's help in this community. The classic car community is not kind to young people. Fighting that for years has made me bitter and resentful, which is why I made my snappy remark at him. I became that which I hate: I became an angry bitter car guy holding another car guys' age or inexperience against them. I HATE when people do that to me, and I was a total hypocrite to do that someone else. Sometimes I need a reminder that another young person in the classic car hobby is not my enemy or competitor. They are my ally against true enemies and competitors. 

Sorry for that, Brad2192. I am glad you figured it out on your own and stood up for yourself. 

It takes a man to admit a mistake. I responded like I did because I knew that a young guy had no way of knowing about carburetors like people my age do. We should welcome young people into the hobby. I know very little about tech gadgets, but I am familiar with carburetors due to my age. Thanks for posting this. I respect that.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 7:30am

thats quite an apology. Saying this isnt easy...but we all make mistakes...and we all should learn from our mistakes
Brad2192 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad2192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 1:51pm

That was probably the coolest dung I've ever heard come from anyone. Thanks for the apology, like everyone said that is some real-man action to do what you just did, made the whole post worth it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic