TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New EFI Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 85>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

One Torker vs AirGap test was the Car Craft Rambler 370 cu-in with 310/318 254/259 108 LSA 104 ICL
Torker 480.7hp@6000, 448.3 lbf.ft@4900
AirGap 468.9hp@5900, 454.7 lbf.ft@4500
"after 5300 rpm, the Torker managed to pull away by 12hp peak ... AirGap beat it by 12lbf.ft average and nearly 800 rpm lower in the band"

Different combos will give different results and favour one intake over another.   My guess is the new single plane would beat the torque of a Torker, but may need porting for larger cubes/higher rpm.   Nice thing about a single plane is much easier to port, so if they've left lots of material, the porters will be happy.

Until we see full dyno curves, a bit tough to judge at this point, but seems the new intake is targeted to street users more so than racers, so I'm sure they will sell a bunch and racers will figure out how to modify them to get the most out it. 

I'm hoping you're right RD, but I can see the reason for thinking it may be a small CSA like John and Lenni point out.

Thanks for posting the AirGap vs Torker dyno info!
It's even closer than I thought:
The Torker is +12 and -6,
I'm honestly shocked that they were so close with a bigger cam like the 310/318 254/259 108 LSA in 'just' a 370" engine.
I thought the AirGap would be a bigger limiting factor in a combo like that.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 9:05pm
In the same article, they also tested the AirGap with a smaller cam, but not the Torker. 276/286 221/230 108LSA 104ICL
437.2 hp@6000 470.8lbf.ft@3900, with >450lbf.ft starting 3500rpm.
A good street combo.

It would be nice if Edelbrock would dyno the Torker to compare against the new single-plane since guys were mostly after an updated single plane taking advantage of latest technology.    It would be a bit of a shame to only dyno against the RPM AirGap since the Torker is the one most used for street/strip and race.

Thanks, RD.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 12:31am
I seriously doubt they are interested in spending dyno time on a Torker comparison. Time is money and would bet  their only real focus is with developing their new intake for the EFI.  Also I think it's really premature for everyone to make judgements on the results so far. It's a work in progress, not a finished and finessed part. Development will go on and they will make adjustments with it. For now I am just happy to see a new part in the works and whatever the out come I'll be buying one to play with. 

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Oct/04/2018 at 10:21am
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 4:58am
It might be a waste from a design standpoint to test it against the older Torker,
but as old as it is,
the Torker is the standard it will be weighed against in the end.

I'm thrilled that this is being developed for our market,
and more than anything don't want to scare off, or insult the company that's making it.

But if it is on the smaller side a little brutal honestly may be helpful at this point.

I think I understand why most beta testing is done in private and behind the scenes.
It's a fine line to walk to say what needs to be said in a public forum without flipping over the whole apple cart.

Dennis and the Edelbrock guys are good at what they do,
I hope they take in everything they find, and everything being said into perspective make the best product possible for the job.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 7:37am
Give them some time. The engine is a hyd cam, not a race piece, so don't look for giant numbers up front. Development takes time, let them do their job. The intake seems to be about 15 hp better on that engine, similar to my air-gap vs torker testing in a similar application. Might be a terrific piece on a more aggressive engine.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Oct/04/2018 at 7:52am
SONOFAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SONOFAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 10:57am
As Jim Schmitz suspected from the start the runners are to small. I don't want to say I'm disappointed in the numbers but there you have it. Maybe Jim can weigh in here and guide them on how he produced such incredible numbers. 

At this point it clearly needs help but the effort is there.

Thanks
Did you mean GMC?
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 6:02am
OK, let's not lose sight of the difference between a PROTOTYPE and a production piece. The folks at Edelbrock have some baseline numbers from their PROTOTYPE. Now they can take those numbers and use them to improve the prototype before it goes into production.

The fact that Edelbrock is working on a new piece for an engine that hasn't been in production for almost 30 years is apparently lost on some of you. Instead of complaining about the numbers and criticizing the performance of the PROTOTYPE, we should be down on our knees thanking them for even considering a new manifold for an AMC. This is something akin to a manufacturer designing new performance parts for a Studebaker 289 in the 1990's...and THAT didn't happen.

If the complaining gets too loud, I wouldn't blame Edelbrock if they turned their backs on what might seem to be a group of ingrates. I hope and pray they don't, but they WOULD be justified if they did, from what I've seen here.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 6:11am
To me what criticism if any is just inquiring minds seeing possible issues, and wondering which way the outcome will go. I think it would be nice to have an all out design, after all peeps with the toys, are not going pay extra for something that they expect will not be better than what is already available. Plus it gives insight to what the buyer wants. So far many who are here talking in discussion are happy things are moving along. I think they know us better than just a bunch of Statler and Waldorf's with nothing better to do.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 9:39pm
FYI - I got a new 2018 Edelbrock catalog recently and the latest catalog no longer lists the Torker intake as being available, just the air gap and what they are calling a performer. There still seems to be a few in the supply change as Summit for one still lists them as available . Let hope the new EFI intake is made available to fill in the gap of the loss of the Torker.
LRDaum
LRDaum
a401classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a401classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Give them some time. The engine is a hyd cam, not a race piece, so don't look for giant numbers up front. Development takes time, let them do their job. The intake seems to be about 15 hp better on that engine, similar to my air-gap vs torker testing in a similar application. Might be a terrific piece on a more aggressive engine.

Where's the "Like" button?
'64 Rambler Classic 770 2DR

Twin Turbo 423.7 AMC (short block done)

TH400 / GV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 85>
  Share Topic