TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New gauge cluster/70 AMX/odometer reset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New gauge cluster/70 AMX/odometer reset
    Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:00pm
Hi all, just purchased a very nice gauge cluster and would like to get the mileage in line with what's on the car. Can I get this done at the back of the speedometer I don't want to remove the speedo to get at the numbers and do it that way. Car is in a tent don't have great access to the speedo cable underneath. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by ArnieG - Oct/24/2014 at 1:26pm
Cape Cod, MA.
1970 AMX frost white/shadow mask
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 12:28pm
You will need to take the speedo apart and remove the odometer.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 2:33pm
I was thinking I could put a drill at the far end in reverse or find the same fitting for the front.
Cape Cod, MA.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 4:09pm
will take a long time!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 4:38pm
I used to work at a used car lot where the manager had a guy come in and adjust the mileage with a drill motor.  The used car lot and the city where it was located shall be unnamed.  It didn't take very long as I recall to turn an 80,000 mile car into a 30,000 mile car.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

will take a long time!

I agree, and it's really easy to adjust it once the cluster is out. I set my 70 AMX odometer to "0" when I built the car.  

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 5:52pm
Looked the wrong way and broke the needle on my tach last time (can't explain it I just did it) so now I have no balls. Maybe someone who has been there before and paid will do it for me with no responsibility.

Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

will take a long time!

I agree, and it's really easy to adjust it once the cluster is out. I set my 70 AMX odometer to "0" when I built the car.  

Dennis
Cape Cod, MA.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:41pm
Arnie, I broke a tach needle as well...the speedo is much easier. You don't have to go anywhere near the needle to access the odometer. Like Dennis, I reset mine to 0 when I built the car. I rebuilt and restored every part and didn't know if it was the original gauge pod anyways.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 7:34pm
Is there a worse feeling in the world when you look down and see the needle laying there. I was stunned didn't want to believe it really happened. Talk about having your day ruined. 

Arnie, I broke a tach needle as well...the speedo is much easier. You don't have to go anywhere near the needle to access the odometer. Like Dennis, I reset mine to 0 when I built the car. I rebuilt and restored every part and didn't know if it was the original gauge pod anyways.
Cape Cod, MA.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:00pm
Nope...I think I shed a tear!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic