TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

new GM steering box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new GM steering box
    Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 10:01am
I'm thinking of replacing the power steering box in my '68 AMX with a later quick-ratio Saginaw box. What year/model GM car used the box I want? Is there any box that is a direct bolt-in with no issues with the steering shaft or Pitman arm splines or the hose fittings? Thanks!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 10:25am
This older post should give you some direction:
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Ralph G. Ralph G. wrote:

I'm thinking of replacing the power steering box in my '68 AMX with a later quick-ratio Saginaw box. What year/model GM car used the box I want? Is there any box that is a direct bolt-in with no issues with the steering shaft or Pitman arm splines or the hose fittings? Thanks!

You specifically do NOT want to use a box from a GM car.  Although AMC used Saginaw to provide the steering boxes, the AMC spec boxes are different internally in 1 very important way.   The AMC spec boxes do not have internal stops, because AMC uses external stops to limit turning radius - the end of the strut rods where they attach to the lower control arms provide the stop.

If you use a GM spec box, you will wind up with a humongous turning circle, making the car a PITA to drive around town and park.

What you can do (and what I've done several times) is take your original box, and send it off to a rebuilder to have a quicker ratio installed, and not lose the turning circle you have now.   I use redheadsteeringgears.com - but there are others out there as well.  Turn-around is 2 weeks or less.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 10:55am
After a large amount of research, I believe such a box dosen't really exist in OEM form.
Every OEM quick-ratio application I have looked up so far has a different frame mounting pattern, or lacks enough internal travel.

Here are the five important differences between car Saginaw 800/700 boxes.

1. Later boxes omitted the upper rear mounting ear. That ear is need on an AMX. Make sure the box you choose is a 4 ear box.

2. There are many applications (most notably f-body and g-body) that have a narrower turning radius than what is required for an AMC. You need a box that has at least and 87° full sweep.

3. Later boxes switched to a 3/4 input splined shaft vs. the original 13/16. This one isn't a big deal, one can just bolt on a different rag-joint.

4. later boxes used o-ring fittings vs. inverted flare. This is another easy one, just use the easily available fitting adapters.

5. Some GM police/taxi applications had a slightly different pitman arm splines.

However, there are several aftermarket companies that will assemble the correct four mounting ear case with quick-ratio internals. This way you can have the steering box you want without modifying the car or losing steering travel.

If you can find one, the aftermarket Delphi 600/670 boxes have far better steering feel than is possible from a Saginaw 800 or 700 box. The downside to these, is while they fit with only minor almost non-issues (require different rag-joint and O-ring fitting adapters), they do not appear OEM.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

You specifically do NOT want to use a box from a GM car.  Although AMC used Saginaw to provide the steering boxes, the AMC spec boxes are different internally in 1 very important way.   The AMC spec boxes do not have internal stops, because AMC uses external stops to limit turning radius - the end of the strut rods where they attach to the lower control arms provide the stop.

If you use a GM spec box, you will wind up with a humongous turning circle, making the car a PITA to drive around town and park.

What you can do (and what I've done several times) is take your original box, and send it off to a rebuilder to have a quicker ratio installed, and not lose the turning circle you have now.   I use redheadsteeringgears.com - but there are others out there as well.  Turn-around is 2 weeks or less.

This is not entirely correct, ALL Saginaw boxes have internal stops. The difference is whether or not the box is set-up with a wide enough sweep. AMC used 87° full sweep, while some GM applications use as little as 67°.

Some GM car boxes actually are compatible with AMC bodies, most notably 65-70 GM A-body.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by akimmet akimmet wrote:

Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

This is not entirely correct, ALL Saginaw boxes have internal stops. The difference is whether or not the box is set-up with a wide enough sweep. AMC used 87° full sweep, while some GM applications use as little as 67°.

Some GM car boxes actually are compatible with AMC bodies, most notably 65-70 GM A-body.
I know that the early Pontiac Trans Am quick ratio box cuts down the sweep. I found that out about 35 years ago.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I know that the early Pontiac Trans Am quick ratio box cuts down the sweep. I found that out about 35 years ago.

Correct, f-body and g-body steering boxes are definitely the ones to avoid.
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 5:37pm
Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks like a rebuilt original box may be m y best bet.
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I found that out the hard way as well after installing a Trans-Am box into a '71 Ambassador years ago. It is not noticeable in normal driving, but makes U-Turns a sporting proposition especially with the Ambo's long wheelbase. (It's annoying but not bad enough to bother replacing again with a full-sweep box.)
Jeffs69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 11:04am
Go to Rockauto.com do a search for Steering-Box and type-in your make, model, year, and engine type and various types of Lares Steering-Boxes will come up!  

They have a Lares 974 which is a 10:1 Fast Ratio, 3 Bolt Mount: 2-1/2 Turns; Direct Bolt in and it includes a New Steering Coupling Assembly.  Only $172.79 plus $50 Core charge.  You should be able to send your Core in and have them rebuild it and get it back if you want.  Wish I would had know about them before I spent a lot more money having mine rebuilt to a 12.7:1 Ratio.    
Jeff's 69 AMX Restoration Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic