TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Project - B5 SC/360 Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project - B5 SC/360 Hornet
    Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:28pm
Some of you knew I was looking for the B5 Deep Maroon Metallic SC360 that was at the AMCRC show this past fall. While it took some time and tracking down, I finally located the owner and made the deal to purchase the car. This past weekend I met the owner in Iowa to bring it home - just hours ahead of the huge snowstorm!

This car is unique in that it's color was not a standard color for Hornets in 1971. Somehow this car was special-ordered this way, which is neat since so few SC360s were built. I've spoken to owners and past dealers who ordered the cars and couldn't get them, or ordered cars spec'd one way and received something else.

The car was built in December 1970 and is one of 306 Go-Pac 4-speed cars. It was bought new on 4/12/1971 at Cross Country Motors in Denver. It was parked around 1977 and basically sat until this year. The interior upholstery and paint got pretty beat up over the year, but except for the lower quarters and driver's quarter, it's very solid. The owner I bought it from literally saved it from being cut up for scrap metal - the cutting saw was running and he luckily stepped in. The car is a real time machine - original hoses, reverse lock out, red oxide (!) rear end center section... it's going to be a fun car.

I'll be documenting the restoration of this car here over the next few years. It will be receiving a complete OE rotisserie restoration as my Gremlin had performed. I sold my yellow SC360 to a forum member who I believe will begin working on it this spring.

Here are a few pictures:

BillD and I loading it up at midnight on a cold Iowa night

enroute

1000+ miles and 1 day later - unloaded and inside!

Engine had been removed by previous owner to be rebuilt

Interior needs a little tidying up

Stay tuned to this thread as work begins!
AMO Newsletter Editor
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:33pm
Looking forward to this one Ian.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:37pm
Ian,   what a nice find!!  i will be watching this thread closely! 
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:38pm
Very cool! Looking forward to following along with its restoration. I dig that luggage rack, & hope it stays if it is an OEM item.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:41pm
Thanks guys. Luggage rack is OEM and I have NOS one to replace it. One cool option is the factory side scuff moldings. I am planning to keep those as well.
AMO Newsletter Editor
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:43pm
Congrats on finding it Ian!
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

Thanks guys. Luggage rack is OEM and I have NOS one to replace it. One cool option is the factory side scuff moldings. I am planning to keep those as well.
My Electric Blue one looks awfully common compared to that one. I think that half of them must be blue because it was the brochure color. Nice find.
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 1:56pm
Very cool car. Might I suggest finding a second deck lid without the luggage rack holes. Then when doing the paint work you can paint both deck lids to give you a luggage rack/no luggage rack option.
larue390@comcast.net
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 2:10pm
Some great "before" pics! 
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 2:10pm
Pure Awesomeness!
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic