TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No turn signals or brake lights???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No turn signals or brake lights???
    Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 2:49pm
Had steering wheel off to replace signal cancel switch. All back together now I have no signals or brake lights. Fuse was blown but replaced and still nothing. Bulbs OK with hazards on front only flash. Checked wires to brake switch on master and both were hot with tester. And Ideas? Followed the book putting back together but found a 2" or so little piece of metal on the floor under steering wheel when done. Not in diagram so may have been there before.
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 3:56pm
pretty much has to be something in the turn signal switch
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 4:38pm
Yup. Steering wheel has to come off again. Break out your multimeter and check for power.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 5:46pm
Sounds like the Turn Signal Cam Switch.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 11:24am
Was thinking this but the lack of brake lights had me guessing.
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 12:20pm
This is some beyond incredibly stupid noise. I had the same problems on a 72 Ford pickup last week and couldn't find much help on the matter. Brake lights were always stuck ON for any attached trailer but never on for the truck itself. Driving lights would work but never for any trailer attachment. Then I discovered that my brake lights worked when the right turn signal was engaged.

My primary issue was getting brake lights working again. No fuses, no faulty brake lamp switch, it's the turn signal switch in the steering column. Confused
tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 6:05am
UPDATE after chasing wires and taking off steering wheel again. I found that if I bent down the wires on the back of the turn signal cam I now have working turn signals. But the brake lights still dont work unless the left or right turn signal is on. Had to stop there so any more ideas would be appreciated.
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 2:44pm
Do you have a known good turn signal switch you could try just in case you got a faulty new one?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 5:30am
Nope never thought of a bad new switch. Might be worth a try.
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by tom67 tom67 wrote:

Nope never thought of a bad new switch. Might be worth a try.

I got 3 bad ones in a row when I tried to fix the turn signal switch in my American. I ended up putting the stock one back in since the only issue with it was that you have to hold the lever. The other ones I got (including an NOS one) all had various electrical faults resulting in the brake lights not working properly.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic