TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

oil pressure light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pressure light
    Posted: May/28/2015 at 8:57pm
65 Ambassador oil light does not come on with key on. Alternator light does. Oil sender is good. Wire from instrument cluster circuit board to sender is good. Circuit board and bulbs are good. Power to bulb is the same circuit as alternator bulb. Cannot make it work. Any suggestions? I must be missing something. This is not a complicated circuit.
Dan
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 9:33pm
Ground the sender wire to the block with the ignition key on. It should light the bulb. If it does, you sender is the problem. One thing that is often a problem is the use of excessive Teflon tape keeping the sender from being properly grounded.

If the light does NOT light up when you ground the wire, then there's a problem in the circuit since you know the bulb is good. Use an ohm meter to test for continuity in the wire between the sender end and the panel end at the gauge connector. The wire is blue.

Edited by RamblinMan - May/28/2015 at 9:38pm
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 11:46am
Yes the wire is blue book. How do you know it is blue? TSM?
Dan
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 11:49am
Yes, TSM wiring diagram. I have a 65 Classic which shares the same TSM and I looked it up for you. It tays blue all the way to the gauge cluster connector, and it appears to be the ONLY blue wire at the connector.
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 6:24pm
FIXED!!!
The whole story. First I did all the checks...sender, wiring, all good. When I took the cluster out I found two breaks in the circuit board. One in an illumination circuit and one between the oil bulb and the harness connector. Yes the blue wire. I used electrical conductive paint and repaired the breaks. My powered circuit tester ( test light with a bulb and battery) verified good circuits. But still no oil light. After trying everything I could think of I connected a spare instrument cluster I have. The light came on !!! You mentioned testing with an ohm meter. I used my powered test light. Got to thinking about my repair. Finally used an ohm meter and found high resistance at my repair. Good enough for my test light to come on but not the oil light. Redid the repair. This time with the paint  and a piece of aluminum foil. My ohm meter was happy with this repair. So was my Ambo. I have a TSM also. I knew the wire was blue but under the hood it is more of a tan color. Probably just lost color after 50 years. Curious, what color is your wire under the hood?

Dan
Dan
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 6:40pm
Huh. My car now has a 401/727 combo with aftermarket gauges and the light is no longer hooked up and that wire is taped up in the harness now. I was just going by the TSM.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 6:47pm
I just consulted my TSM again and can find not tan wire in the engine compartment.
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 7:18pm
401/727. ..torque tube?
Dan
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 7:46pm
Nah . . . Whole drivetrain replaced.

http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/3281/
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2015 at 7:43am
Send me some pictures
polishdano@gmail.com
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic