TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OLD SCHOOL: 50's Rear Axles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OLD SCHOOL: 50's Rear Axles
    Posted: Feb/13/2019 at 6:52pm
I have a line on a post-merger "Hash", and I'm trying to determine what rear axle AMC used in the '55-'57 time frame. Was it an AMC-20? If not, any ideas what it was?

Please don't guess. I want to be sure. Posi in a torque-tube "Hash" is the goal; just curious if it's possible.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2019 at 9:45pm
1955, Nash, Hudson and Rambler shared the same Nash semi floating torque tube rear axle.
In 1956 the "new" Rambler was introduced and I have no information on what was used as engines,  transmissions and models were changing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 6:42am
From the 55-56 TSMs it looks like the AMC 20 in all Nash/Hudson vehicles with the OHV six and big Hudson sixes (232 and 308). The AMC 15 was used in the cars with the 172-196 L-head engines, which would be the Statesman. I don't know what the Hudson Wasp with the 202 L-head Hudson engine used for a rear axle, but I suspect the AMC 20.

AFAIK all post WWII Nash based vehicles used the AMC 15 and 20 axles. Some were made by Nash, some by Dana or Spicer (before they merged). I know for sure the 1955 Nash Rambler used an AMC 15.

Edited by farna - Feb/14/2019 at 6:46am
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 8:41am
When I stripped an axle in the AMC 15 a fellow sold me an AMC 20 that has 1 1/4" axles and backing plates for 9" brakes. Since then I am using an AMC 20 from a 66 232 Ambassador that has 1 3/8 axles and backing plates for 10" brakes. The two different backing plates have different bolt patterns. I have no idea what that first AMC 20 was originally installed in.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 11:28am
Very confused here Frank,
I don't have the TSM's but the parts books show 54-55 Nash/Rambler to be different bearings and cover then the 55-56 Rambler which looks to be an AMC15. The 57 looks to be the AMC15 except the Rambler Rebel with the V8 being what looks to be the AMC20.
The Ambassador looks to be using the AMC20 as well as all the big car line of 55-57. 
The parts numbers change and I am assuming during this period Hudson/Nash/AMC were sorting everything into one parts stream.
I am not saying your wrong, but from a parts perspective these years are not very easy to identify. It could be as you have stated the engine determined the differential - even between the different six cylinder engines and it looks like the overdrive transmission got the AMC20.

Buzzman, I believe your going to have to identify which vehicle you are asking about, with engine and transmission.
This is very confusing!   
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 3:19pm
I'm talking about the big body '55-'57 models. 

I thought it might be the AMC-20. Thinking about a modern posi unit, and the DR. DIFF axles sound like an intriguing upgrade. Speculating whether a "hidden" upgrade would be worth the work and the dinero. Because stock replacement axles (and hubs) for the "Hash" models don't exactly grow on trees, y'know. 
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 5:37am
There is a 50-57 Nash Ambassador and Statesman and the 50-57 Nash Rambler. The (55) Nash Rambler is the one that uses the AMC 15 for sure, I *thought* the post-war Statesman used it also, but may be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure the big body cars used the AMC 20 at least from the mid 50s on, but again, not 100% certain. I just looked at the pics in the TSM and speculated on the big cars... should have made that clearer.

Vinny, sounds like that AMC 20 with the big axles came from a Jeep, but then it would have had either a 5 x 5.5" or six lug bolt pattern. There may have been a HD axle at some point, I can't say.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 8:45am
I assume we are talking torque tube differentials. 66 232 Ambassador used AMC20 single u-joint 10" brakes. I don't know what the AMC20 single u-joint 9" brakes I have in my yard came from. I believe that the AMC 20 from a 63 V-8 327 Ambassador has 10" brakes and double type u-joint. My reference to axle size is from memory but for sure the one with 10" brakes has thicker axles that the one with 9" brakes and different backing plate bolt spacing.

I would think that AMC20 single U-joint with 9" brakes probably originated in a 6 cyl car 1962 or older. Can people put posi-trac in a T/T AMC 15 or 20, I don't know? For me it wouldn't be a concern unless I would take it on the lake for ice fishing.

Edited by vinny - Feb/17/2019 at 11:28am
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 6:43pm
I had read somewhere here that on earlier than 1966 AMC 20's carrier bearings are no longer available. Depending on what you find new parts may not be available.

Buzzman72 what car do you have in mind? It looks to me that more than one differential will fit but you will need to get more specific in what you want..
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 7:12pm
'56 Hudson Hornet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic