TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pertronix replacement in 195.6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pertronix replacement in 195.6
    Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 3:22pm
Hoping someone here has made the switch..?  From what I understand the 1168LS is the module to get for my Delco distributor.

Thanks guys!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 7:20pm
From the chart it looks like 63 and newer use the 1162A. 
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 8:01pm
Word to the wise: Keep a set of points in your glove box. 

Gremmy Power!!!
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 3:16am
I've converted two 196's with the Pertronix kits with no problems.  Use the basic (cheapest) kit, stay away from the Pertronix II's and III's.  A Pertronix coil would be good too.  And, as mentioned, keep a set of points handy.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Kensey Kensey wrote:

Word to the wise: Keep a set of points in your glove box. 

Or a spare distributor with points already setup. Easier to drop in when on the road.
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 8:00am
Thanks Guys!
In the past, I owned several Studebakers and always replaced points with the Ignitor and I guess I was lucky I never had an issue with them.  (But did keep a dizzy in the trunk!)
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 10:34am
Don't really need a whole spare dizzy.  Just get another points plate.  Then if the Pertronix goes bad you only have to remove two screws and the wires.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 11:46pm
... but in any case, it's not a bad idea to yank the distro, fully disassemble and gun-brush the bushings and re-lube the thing. there's been more than a couple instances if distro's rotating in place! the lube in my experience is so old and stiff its amazing they work at all.

later ones have a spiral groove that's supposed to lift oil, not that it appears to work very well.

i just happen to have done this to a '65 195.6 OHV distro, and it was noticably stiff to turn. the oiling system (sic) consisted of a sort of well or reservoir that was packed with what appeared to be sawdust! all i could do was loosely fill it with paper and some good oil.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2018 at 5:52pm
The Pertronix #2161 fit my Delco distributor perfectly!  I did find another dist. with the same number designation on Ebay and snagged it.  Will keep the points in it and stow in the trunk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic