TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Plastic Socket Inserts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic Socket Inserts
    Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 9:58pm
I started looked for a set of the non-marring plastic socket inserts to install painted bolts and all I can find is a Snap-On metric set.  Does anyone make an SAE set any more?  I thought Eastwood did but I can't find a listing for them.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 7:05am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I started looked for a set of the non-marring plastic socket inserts to install painted bolts and all I can find is a Snap-On metric set.  Does anyone make an SAE set any more?  I thought Eastwood did but I can't find a listing for them.

X2
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 7:39am
Wouldn't the metric set fit a metric socket to fit over standard head nuts and bolts?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Wouldn't the metric set fit a metric socket to fit over standard head nuts and bolts?

Wouldn't you have the same size mismatch between the metric and SAE inserts that you have between metric and SAE steel sockets?  I know some are close but some.....
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 9:45am

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Wouldn't you have the same size mismatch between the metric and SAE inserts that you have between metric and SAE steel sockets?  I know some are close but some.....

I ment if the insert is to fit metric sockets, the insert side will fit standard by the thickness of the insert wall. Unless they are all undersized to match with metric only.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 3:34pm
If I read the description correctly, the insert fits into a metric socket and the resulting socket size is also metric, 12 goes to 8, 14 goes to 10, 16 goes to 12, and so forth.  Apparently the inserts are 2mm thick as the total reduction is 4mm for each size.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 4:24pm

If I read the description correctly, the insert fits into a metric socket and the resulting socket size is also metric, 12 goes to 8, 14 goes to 10, 16 goes to 12, and so forth.  Apparently the inserts are 2mm thick as the total reduction is 4mm for each size.

Ah, since they are plastic, maybe filing the inside walls may allow for fitment on standard heads?

Donno, one of them, my cousin would find away, thoughts. He can do just about anything with hardly anything.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 11:48am
I have some of these for inch sizes. I think 3/8 thru 9/16? I can't remember where I bought them from but if you PM me I'll see if I can find out.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 12:51pm
Found them.  Not a real large selection but better than nothing.  Haven't tried them yet but they look sturdy.

http://www.bojoinc.com/index.php/composite-hand-tools/test-category/socket-inserts.html
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
bbgjav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2017 at 7:45am
Thanks for that link Roger, I can't believe they are not more common. I will have to contact them to see if they will ship some to me in Canada.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic