TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pre 71 232 steoker???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 4:29pm
find a 4.0 use your crank and make it a mini stroker  with your crank can run the stock trans  
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

americanjackie2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:55pm
Yeah that's the goal to keep the original 1969 transmission that's in it. So a 258 crank won't work for a low deck 232 an original transmission right
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

find a 4.0 use your crank and make it a mini stroker  with your crank can run the stock trans  

You cannot run the stock trans, from that car, on a 72-up block. Different bellhousing. Which is also why stroking the stock block won't work because the flexplate won't bolt to the later crank (pretty sure the flange is different). Unless the crank flange can be machined.

Personally, build a 4.6L stroker, put a 904 behind it and don't look back. I have a good 258 crank I will sell. Needs to be cleaned up.

If running the stock original trans is non negotiable, build the 232. It wakes up very well an has the same potential as the two larger 6's. Might not have the torque, but, it's not lacking either. I've beefed up two 232's, swapped one from 3sp stick to a T5, and the other from a BW M35 to a T5. Both with cams/intake/carb/exhaust/ignition and the power increase is very noticeable. That being said, a 4.0 swap would have been the same money, or less and would have a modern auto w/od and I could have done the same "go fast" mods, too. Food for thought.

Edited by 232jav3sp - Oct/22/2018 at 11:14pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 5:45am
Yes, 71 232/258 is the same block. The "new" 232 used the slightly longer 199 rods, 199 was discontinued for 71. That block is about 1/8" taller... I forget the exact deck height... might be closer to 1/4" taller. Made room for the longer stroke 258. The 71 232/258 uses the same bell pattern as older sixes, and uses the same flywheel/flexplate as earlier 199/232. Note that the 196 flywheel/flexplate is slightly smaller in diameter.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 6:43am
Yep want you to keep the stock transmission so will I need to keep the pre 71 block what crankshaft will fit and what do I need to do to make all this work
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 7:01am
Originally posted by americanjackie2 americanjackie2 wrote:

Yep want you to keep the stock transmission so will I need to keep the pre 71 block what crankshaft will fit and what do I need to do to make all this work

Not sure if it can be done, but, you're have to have the crank flange machined to accommodate the flexplate. I know the flanges are different, I just don't know how much it if they can be turned to match the early style. I'm sure someone it there had the answer, and experience, to chime in.
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 9:04am
Is this a BW automatic or 3 speed manual trans?
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 7:16am
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

It's crazy that Jeep could've just used the AMC 232 crank in the 4.0 Jeep engine and made another version of a 258 4.2L I-6. From the Jeeper forum posts I'd read about the 232 crank in the 4.0 block is that the only benefit is slightly more TQ. It's been said that the 4.0 doesn't quite have the same TQ the 258 did. 

Honestly guys.. I don't know if you've ever spec'd out the 232 in a 4.0 block... but I have.. and I have it rounded out to roughly about 2500-2900. The Silv-O-Lite pistons for this combination that use the factory 4.0 rods are only $100 on ebay. Put a 4.0 head on it, an Offy intake and a Holley 390! Nice. Plus the 232 crank doesn't have the side loading issues on the cylinder walls that the early 258 stroker engines used to suffer from after they started to be come popular.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 7:32am
Side loading wasn't the issue... well, part of it. Early strokers typically used 4.0 pistons, 258 crank and rods. This brings the piston way down in the bore. The lowest edge of the writs pin is right at the bottom of the bore. If the engine is bored to AMC specs it's okay, but much looser and it will wear faster due to a slight piston rock. Doesn't hurt -- I put 70K on one that was put together with 0.006" piston to wall clearance. AMC specs are 0.002" though!!  Chevy machinist...  When I took the head off for oil consumption (about a quart every 800 miles... less if running hard) I thought I had badly worn valve stems. It didn't smoke and still had great power! What I found was 0.012" wear near the top. Took a piston out and had 0.16" at the bottom. Measurement wasn't done with an accurate bore gauge, so it was likely a bit more.

That's why the builders all switched to a 4.0L rod and custom pistons. They are popular enough now that you can buy off the shelf stroker pistons and not have to spend $600 or so as you did back in late 1999 when I built mine.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 4:22am
M37 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic