TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Production Numbers - AMC Rebel & Matador

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Production Numbers - AMC Rebel & Matador
    Posted: Feb/11/2016 at 12:40am
Hi,

Does anyone have or know a link to production numbers for the AMC Rebel and Matador sedans (both generations)?

In particular I'd love to know the 1970 Rebel (Proto-Matador) and 74, but really all years would be very interesting...

Thanks,
C
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2016 at 8:00am
Check out "The Classic Car Database". Basically gives spec info on each vehicle plus production numbers. Example, the site states that only 6573  1970 Rebel SST coupes were produced, but does not break down for engine size.  Also states that there were 33000 + 1973 Matador V-8 sedans built.  So now i wonder how many 1970 390 equipped Rebel SST coupes were built like mine. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2016 at 5:13pm
The Rebel Alliance View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2016 at 11:01pm
Thanks very much to both.

I found the info I was looking for in Scott's links.

Machine info seems easy to come by; it's info on the regular Rebels that seem harder to track down.

Apparently, I have 1 of only 907 Brampton built Rebel SSTs with a V8 and 1 of 15469 74 Matador sedans with a 304. This means nothing, but nice to know!

ADAM12 - if I read the data correctly, your 70 Rebel SST 390 Coupe is one of 144 built in Kenosha, and none were built in Brampton. Cool!

Edited by The Rebel Alliance - Feb/11/2016 at 11:04pm
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2016 at 8:10pm
Hi. Very interesting. Its a shame since the car is a rustbucket. Found it in a local junkyard back in 1987. It was owned by a guy who owned an AMC dealership in the area back in the 70's. Car is loaded with options. 390, buckets, console, a/c, cruise, tilt, rimblow, tinted glass, am/fm, turbocast wheelcovers and bumper guards. It even had a tissue dispenser and AM script compass. I figured i would hold on to it just because of the cool factor. Will probably use it as a donor for a less rusty body.
Jimminee2000 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimminee2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 9:35pm
Any way to narrow this down by engine and color?
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Jimminee2000 Jimminee2000 wrote:

unfortunately not really.  AMC's records, from what I understand were not nearly as concise as say, Ford or Chevrolet, and much that did exist was apparently lost during the Chrysler takeover in 88.

The "Standard Catalog of American Motors" by John Gunnell is the best reference I've ever found to get production information from, and Frank Swygert's "Red, White & Blue Book" is an excellent source for decoding door plates, etc.  But alas, you won't find specifics on the number of cars produced in a given year in a specific color or trim combo in all but a very few cases.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimminee2000 Jimminee2000 wrote:

unfortunately not really.  AMC's records, from what I understand were not nearly as concise as say, Ford or Chevrolet, and much that did exist was apparently lost during the Chrysler takeover in 88.

The "Standard Catalog of American Motors" by John Gunnell is the best reference I've ever found to get production information from, and Frank Swygert's "Red, White & Blue Book" is an excellent source for decoding door plates, etc.  But alas, you won't find specifics on the number of cars produced in a given year in a specific color or trim combo in all but a very few cases.

Yeah,
it seems what info we do have about special models was either from stock holder reports,
or from people who wrote AMC to request specific counts of certain colors, or options not long after they were built.

Chrysler wasn't too interested in preserving AMC data,
just like the later owners weren't interested in preserving all the NOS Jeep sheetmetal that got scrapped.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic