TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PS for 64 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 8:45am
Oh I like the idea of electric assist which is a new one on me. That long shaft could probably be shortened if need be to make it fit. Probably it would have a bit of feel to it too and a little more for the alternator to do. Thanks for that.

The last time I had an alignment was back in the 80's when the Pitman arm was changed. The specs are in the owner's manual but I didn't know it at the time and the fellow did it to what he thought was best.

I think the first course of action will be to get all the bushings replaced, get another alignment, and then if still needed go for the power assist.

I learn so much from this forum.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 6:11pm
I have a vehicle with electric assist (2010 Nissan Xtrail) and while it drives very nicely I wonder if the electric assist is intergrated into the speed sensor. Obviously at highway speeds it is not needed.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 6:55pm
I guess when I took it out this spring checking tire pressures was not on the agenda. It's a bit embarrassing actually. 18 to 22 psi across all wheels was a little low and with 32 psi it steers not bad again. Either that or I got twice as strong over night. 

I'll be looking now that my interest has been piqued about an electric unit. The only speed sensor on my car though will be when the fear factor sets in. Maybe an on/off switch could be utilized. No more running them flat out though to see how fast they will go. 

Edited by vinny - Jun/11/2018 at 7:26pm
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 8:04pm
What's the current draw of the electric power steering systems ?
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

I have a vehicle with electric assist (2010 Nissan Xtrail) and while it drives very nicely I wonder if the electric assist is intergrated into the speed sensor. Obviously at highway speeds it is not needed.

Normally they are connected to the car's ECU. To use stand alone you can buy an aftermarket stand alone controller. The controller would be make specific or only available for specific makes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic