TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler classic 64 770 i6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippyXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rambler classic 64 770 i6
    Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 12:46pm
Client dropped this vehicle off and while putting it together I can't figure out how the throttle linkage works. I believe I'm missing a piece. Carb is a Carter 1520 RBS. The person she caught it from was certified Jenny. I showered this site and other resources to find images and came close but to no avail. 
I have to figure out how to get images here . Because picture are life savers
Don't know anything about this vehicle. I DO have the repair manual. Need alittle more help. It either the wrongcarb that came with or parts are gone. F.U.B.A.R.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 9:42pm
you have a factory technical service manual? and not a Haynes or something...

that's got the twist-rod throttle. pedal pushes a lever that passes through the firewall. that lifts UP a bent rod with balls/snap sockets. that lifts a flat lever welded to a rod. the rod has a socket on the firewall with a big rubber grommet, the othe end of the rod has a hood that connects directly to the carb throttle shaft.

someone's gotta have a photo of the setup. i'll try to remember to photo mine tomorrow. its a 68 american, the precise parts might be different but they're all the same setup in those years.

you can't post photos until you have a certain number of posts, eg. not too fresh a newbie!

somewhere online is a factory parts catalog. that shoudl show you the parts, exploded-style.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 9:45pm
I can take a picture of a 63 and a 64 classic tomorrow and will forward directly to TippyXX via personal message.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
TippyXX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippyXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 10:22pm
thank you.... 

TippyXX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippyXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 10:26pm
yah i have the manual. i found some exploded images, But nothing where the throttle twist-rod connects. this is why i think there are pieces missing. 
the woman got ripped off if you ask me but she loves the car so will get it dependable, and safe. 
its a mess. man. 
where is a good place for parts also? on this Forum? 

Thank you in advance. 

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 10:42pm
OOPS.  I did forget.  I will do it tomorrow.
jOE
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2019 at 6:08pm
Better late than never I hope.  Here are pics of the underhood throttle linkage on my 63 Classic aluminum block engine.  The car has bee sidelines many years with the hood off but the parts are there.  You will note the cracked exhaust manifold in the first pic.  I think the car overheated many years ago.  The engine is locked up tight.  Hope this help:

TippyXX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippyXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2019 at 9:55am
Thank you first of all. Yes thats how it is.... I wasn't clear... I need to see how it is connected to the Carb. I know you would think its quite clear.. but its not. Thank you again. as listed above its a Carter rbs. 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 8:13am
See that 90 degree bend in front of the TV cable? That goes into a bracket on the carb throttle shaft. TThe bracket is sort of u shaped. A cutter pin goes in one of the holes to keep it in. If you don't have the original carb you have a problem! You will need to modify the end or use a cable. To keep the TV cable where it is make a support for the carb end and shorten the shaft. Then I would use a short carb cable from where the pedal or TV connects.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 11:54am
here are pics of my setup. it's a 1968 rambler american with 199. the carb is a Carter YFA from a 70's Gremlin. the throttle linkage is therefore homemade, but mimics the factory setup exactly. i fact the U-shaped piece was chopped off a dead Holley 1931.The spring setup isn't stock.

this is in fact how the factory setup is laid out.

Edited by tomj - Nov/17/2019 at 12:05pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic