TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Reading Trans Fluid Level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading Trans Fluid Level
    Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 2:42pm
I feel like we may have discussed this before, but does anyone have any tips for getting a good reading on a transmission dipstick? I have one of those fancy dandy Lokar sticks with the braided steel tube. It always comes out with fluid spread all up the stick. For the life of me I can’t determine where the level is at. My grandfather used to fill his to the TQ stall he liked, lol. More fluid - tighter converter, less fluid - looser converter. And he was a professional mechanic.   

I tried scuffing the stick with sandpaper to get it to stick and bead better, but that didn’t help. I’m getting a little frustrated and considered just going to a short dipstick right on the tranny and climbing under to read it.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 2:52pm
You've touched on one of the major drawbacks of replacing stock parts with fancy doodads. I have bought several cars where the PO installed fake AN fittings and braided covers on the hoses. Worst crap I've had to deal with; they hide failing hoses until it's too late... plastic loom loosely fitted over the wiring, as well, is one of my pet peeves. Spend the money where it counts, is my motto. I don't know of any reliable method of ensuring a Lokar dipstick will give you a real reading.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 3:00pm
Well that’s not encouraging, haha! I have a TH-350 behind a 360 and a Novak adapter plate in the Javelin and it’s a tight fit in the tunnel. I usually pull engine and transmission to get at the transmission, but tried pulling the transmission with the engine still in once and ended up just about destroying the factory tube. So I bought the universal piece. I have a little fluid leak, so I add a little every now and then and overfilled the other day enough it was spitting out of the overflow accelerating at high RPMs on the highway and dripping onto the exhaust. Made for a smoky ride the rest of the way home. Looked like Cheech and Chong rolling down the I-5 with the smoke coming up through the shifter area (also aftermarket and not sealed tightly to the tunnel). Not the greatest smell either.

For what it’s worth, only real AN fittings and no fancy hose covers on my stuff. Just a B&M shifter and fancy dipstick. Any other upgrades are all quality parts (MSD, Edelbrock, Aeromotive, Quick Fuel, etc) installed correctly and soldered connections with heat shrink. I wrap all of my wires also. No plastic “conduit”. I’m not made of money and definitely do some carefully thought out hot rodding shortcuts here and there though, i.e. clamped and custom leaf spring packs.

Edited by Red20 - Jan/12/2018 at 3:07pm
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 6:24am
you could drill some small hole like they do on most ford dip sticks only as a indicator there is enough fluid in there to be safe to drive
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic