TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Axles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Rodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Axles
    Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 7:20pm
Hello out there. Is Moser still the go to company for a Dana 20 one piece axle conversion? There are lots of kits ready to go for Jeep CJ's, but nothing for the cars. Do you have 1 piece axles? If so, what are you running?

Cheers.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Hot Rodder Hot Rodder wrote:

Hello out there. Is Moser still the go to company for a Dana 20 one piece axle conversion? There are lots of kits ready to go for Jeep CJ's, but nothing for the cars. Do you have 1 piece axles? If so, what are you running?

Cheers.
Yes Moser axles in my drag car and if I ever have issues with the street car it will get Moser's also.

As for the Jeep axles the wheel bolt pattern is a 5 on 5 and think too short for our cars.

Call Moser to see what it runs now and how to send in your axles took about a week turn around.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 11:31am
Ring or email Randy at Preformance American Style. He had axles in stock so I could make sure the ones he sent fit as sending my old axles to Moser was out of the question as I live in New Zealnd. Randy made sure I got the correct axles and bearings and without his help it was going to be difficult.
Hot Rodder View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Rodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 1:47pm
Ok thanks.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 5:57pm
I have Mosers in my Matador. Definitely an upgrade but still stuck with the 20's inherent weakness's. Ive got almost 3 grand in this diff and its still the same clunky axle with weak drums and I'm now officially done with the 20. I cant even find anyone locally that will even touch that 20 anymore due to the setup trouble and I only kept it because of the 4 link housing setup in Matador. Trust me I'm dumping this axle and getting a Dana 60 when I upgrade the motor. My spirit has a Granada 9 and if you have a leaf spring car and plan on hammering the rear occasionally save yourself headaches and just spend the cash on a bulletproof 9 or 60 and be done with it. Hoping this doesn't turn into another thread on the virtues of the 20.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by 401harry 401harry wrote:

I have Mosers in my Matador. Definitely an upgrade but still stuck with the 20's inherent weakness's. Ive got almost 3 grand in this diff and its still the same clunky axle with weak drums and I'm now officially done with the 20. I cant even find anyone locally that will even touch that 20 anymore due to the setup trouble and I only kept it because of the 4 link housing setup in Matador. Trust me I'm dumping this axle and getting a Dana 60 when I upgrade the motor. My spirit has a Granada 9 and if you have a leaf spring car and plan on hammering the rear occasionally save yourself headaches and just spend the cash on a bulletproof 9 or 60 and be done with it. Hoping this doesn't turn into another thread on the virtues of the 20.
So let me get this right you installed Moser axles replacing the weak link AMC axles and you say the 8 -7/8" AMC 20 is still weak?
Please tell me how it is still weak?

You know you can replace the drums with disc right? And just because the drums are small does not make it weak it was the 2 piece axles that made it weak.

As for gear setup it is no worst than doing a GM 10 bolt.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 9:16pm
Almost all racers use the Ford 9". Many shops just don't want to mess with anything else, or charge a lot more if they do. Just the way it is!

Ford Explorer and Ranger 8.8" axles are good swap candidates, and about as strong as the venerable 9". Compared to a truck 9" (there is a smaller car 9" - most use the truck version) the AMC 20 is "weak", or rather weaker. The AMC 20 is more like the early car 9".  But then the Ford 9" is also "weak" if you're comparing it to a Rockwell from a deuce-and-a-half...  The axle tubes on the 20 are a bit smaller in diameter and thinner walled than the truck 9" for one thing. But it is still a great car axle.

Like everything else, once you get to 500 hp+ and you're running slicks and hooking up good, stock parts start to reach their limits. Plus the fact that they are around 40 years old... So if you have an all-out drag car the AMC 20 is "weak".
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2014 at 8:28am
... a lot of same comments could apply to the engine ... why bother spending money on an AMC V8 when you could drop in an LS that makes more power more efficiently for less money, readily available aluminum blocks and heads for lower weight, more shops are happy to build them and can easily be upgraded or replaced if it blows up.

Guys get out their torches and pitchforks when someone dares drop in another engine, but few bat an eye at the diff. Seems there's little love for the AMC20?   If they ran 'em in TransAm, albeit with upgraded tubes, a cooler and a full-floating conversion with discs, the guts can't be too "weak". My understanding is they had more engine than differential issues, so which is the weaker link?

... so there are options to upgrade the '20 ... just depends where you want to spend your money? If you aren't confident in working on it or don't have a competent local shop to do the job, then sure, fit something else and keep the car on the road. Same logic applies to other parts.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2014 at 6:46pm
Well not knowing what Harry is doing with the car, street, street/strip or strip only and how much HP he is putting out it is hard to say why he would need anything more than a 20 but then again he has 3k into the 20 so??? Maybe he was also adding the labor with the parts for the 3k?

I am not pushing 500 HP in my drag car but I don't see why my 20 would not take it? Maybe some day?
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2014 at 8:12pm
Fuzz,

The Matador has a lot of mods. The 401 is stout (400hp?) but fairly mild (torque) but I have a built 727 with a TCI converter and Cheetah valve body. Combine that with 3.54s a heavy car and the 20 is taking a beating when I hammer it which is often although I don't race the car presently. I had the housing reinforced as well and the unit has very nice pieces in it including huge(but heavy) station wagon brake drums plus edelbrock control arms. As I said my choices were limited due to the 4 link and the lack of a drop in replacement using the stock suspension mounts so I beefed it as much as I could but it always clunks at low speeds with the hard shifts and I know it will get worse when I put the new 401 in it and it hooks. That, small bearings and lack of decent brake options seals it for me. I will say the 20 never let me down in the small cars I ran. I like the way it looks too if that matters....almost as cool as a 60

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic