TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Shock Mounts...Offset?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glennrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Shock Mounts...Offset?
    Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 3:13pm
I did not take pics while up on the lift, so I will try and describe as best as possible. This is on a '72 JAV/AMX...the rear shocks look to be offset. The left rear shock seems to have two different upper mounting locations. There is a bracket that the top of the shock is mounted to now, however; there is a hole going into the trunk that looks as if that should be the mounting point. The left rear shock mounts behind the axle, the right rear in front of the axle. Do I have the correct shock mounting plates, or might I have two right side plates?
72 Jav/AMX 401 4-Speed

1st and Last Owner
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 3:50pm
That's correct! Staggered, that is.

Edited by ramblinrev - Feb/18/2019 at 9:49pm
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 4:46pm
On my 71 I used moper plates and did away with that flimsy bracket, when I was running coil over shocks, both in front of the rear axle.

71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
glennrock View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glennrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:42pm
ramblingrev...thanks for the reply, however; I'm not sure I understand you, yes it is correct that the shocks should be offset, or yes its correct that the lower shock mounts are incorrect.....please elaborate...
72 Jav/AMX 401 4-Speed

1st and Last Owner
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 8:18pm
From the factory, beginning in 1970, the rear shocks were installed with one in front of the axle and one behind the axle.
The reason was two fold, to help diminish spring wrap up upon acceleration and to improve handling.
I've often heard this setup referred to as staggered shocks

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 8:57pm
Had to been in 1969 because my brother had a 69 javelin that had the staggered shocks in it. I have a 71 javelin that has staggered shocks also so i do agree they came from the factory like that.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:12pm
White is quite correct on the improvement of handling on hard acceleration.
Minor correction on the concept, but the staggered shocks with the left behind and the right in front was to reduce wheel hop on hard acceleration. The left would extend and the right compress when the pinion twist would try to rotate the axle from parallel of the chassis. This actually makes windup forces larger when the wheels cannot break traction.
Shocks have little strength to prevent windup, no leverage.
For windup you need caltracs, torque tube, traction bars ... something that can transfer much more force in the opposite direction of the load being applied.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 10:08pm
with a shock on each side (front, rear) the shocks would absorb axle tube wrap up under super-heavy loads when the tires are hopping and grabbing during heavy acceleration. the pinion vibrates/oscillates up and down; stagger shocks snub that.

shock stagger has no effect on simple body-up-and-down motion.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2019 at 6:32am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2019 at 6:52am
Let me edit the original question, you guys seem to be missing something!!

"The left rear shock seems to have two different upper mounting locations. There is a bracket that the top of the shock is mounted to now, however; there is a hole going into the trunk that looks as if that should be the mounting point. Do I have the correct (upper) shock mounting plates, or might I have two right side plates?"

Stagger or not isn't the question, upper left mount location is. I don't have a 71-74 Javelin and don't recall anything about the upper mount.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic