TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebuild 727

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild 727
    Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 12:48pm
I bought a 727 from a forum member that's on the way from USA to Norway with boat right Now.
I want to rebuild it and would like some help to get the parts i need. 
IT Will sitt behiend my light buildt 360. (wild guess 300/350 hp)
So Nothing crazy.. I have bought a transgo shift kit. 
And a gasket/Seal kit. 

But i want to get a bolt in sprang and thougt i do a full rebuild when i first open the 46 years old trans Thumbs Up

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 1:45pm
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 3:45pm
Pretty much watch this series on YouTube, it covers everything you need to know and you can choose how for you want to go with the upgrades:

With mine I did performance clutches and bands, the rigid band is apparently preferred over the flex band, and a bolt in sprag. Then later I upgraded to a full manual valve body and did the billet servo piston to go with it.

You can go to somebody like CRT (Cope Racing Transmissions) and buy a rebuild kit that includes all of the parts used in their performance transmissions.

Edited by WesternRed - Dec/01/2018 at 3:47pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 2:25am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Pretty much watch this series on YouTube, it covers everything you need to know and you can choose how for you want to go with the upgrades:

With mine I did performance clutches and bands, the rigid band is apparently preferred over the flex band, and a bolt in sprag. Then later I upgraded to a full manual valve body and did the billet servo piston to go with it.

You can go to somebody like CRT (Cope Racing Transmissions) and buy a rebuild kit that includes all of the parts used in their performance transmissions.

Thanx . Awsome video.. Thumbs Up
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 6:21am
all Chrysler parts will bolt in to it so parts are not hard to find upgrade the front pump . clutches. and the  valve body and that about all you need  the book is a good read and I highly recommend it
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 6:42am
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

all Chrysler parts will bolt in to it so parts are not hard to find upgrade the front pump . clutches. and the  valve body and that about all you need  the book is a good read and I highly recommend it

Is it a front pump i can bye or a kit i can get with everything i need?

I find tons of kits on ebay but noe with hard psrts
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 8:13am
I recommend the trans go new manual valve kit. It charges the torque convertor in park. If you have transfer punches and a drill press you can make the sprag bolt in yourself. 1/4-28 shcs and 1/4 brass tubing ferrels are what you would need to source.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

I recommend the trans go new manual valve kit. It charges the torque convertor in park. If you have transfer punches and a drill press you can make the sprag bolt in yourself. 1/4-28 shcs and 1/4 brass tubing ferrels are what you would need to source.

I have bought the transgo tf2 shift kit 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 1:12pm

So far my shoopinglist looks like this + a deep pan from Summit. 

Edited by Stormogdis - Dec/02/2018 at 1:14pm
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Stormogdis Stormogdis wrote:

I bought a 727 from a forum member that's on the way from USA to Norway with boat right Now.
I want to rebuild it and would like some help to get the parts i need. 
IT Will sitt behiend my light buildt 360. (wild guess 300/350 hp)
So Nothing crazy.. I have bought a transgo shift kit. 
And a gasket/Seal kit. 

But i want to get a bolt in sprang and thougt i do a full rebuild when i first open the 46 years old trans Thumbs Up

I don`t believe a 360 at that power level is going to rip out the sprag....B&M make`s a pretty nice kit..The clutch`s are thinner so you get get another one in the front clutch without changing the drum(it allows 4 instead of 3..or 5 with a different drum)...you can build it to 3 level`s..i alway`s choose level 2...It uses red clutches and requires Type F fluid..I did one for my sons Concord most of the build is on youtube
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic