TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Recommendations for engine hoist and stand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations for engine hoist and stand?
    Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 9:25am
Want to work on my 195.6 and maybe mess around with my 232. Do I have to look at anything specific for hobbiest usage in my garage at home? Or will just anything from Northern Tools, Harbor Freight or other places do the trick?

Garage is tight. My '65 American 4 door is in there, and my son's project car will be taking the other place once we get it back next week, so space is a concern.
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 9:36am
Regarding engine stand, try to get a 4 wheel version instead of 3 wheel. They tip over too easy and the extra wheel helps balance the stand.

Harbor freight has two

Three wheel version 750 lb cap for 46.99
Four wheel version 1000 lb cap for 59.99

I know your doing a six but best to be safe...I had a Pontiac 350 on a three wheeler and it tipped on me and I had to catch from crashing into a car...It takes up no more space and will for sure be better.
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

bruceg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 10:45am
Thanks! Safe, reliable and simple are tops on my list. 
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 6:13pm
X2 on the HB four wheel. Plus if your an email member you can get awesome coupons!
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 8:00pm
get the highest weight rating you can afford. You won't regret it down the road. As for a hoist, I would recommend one that the legs fold up to reduce storage space.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 3:20pm
X3 on the 4 wheel with the U shape base as they also make a I type too.
I bought a cheap I type from Auto Zone to clean & detail my 360. It did that job but if I was to rebuild it it would not of worked. You could not center the motor on the head to turn it upside down and when locked it was at a tilt.
I did buy a U type off CL cheap as a spair.

Now for the hoist I bought a new fold up type to save room in my 1 car garage off Ebay. What really saved room was my son lent it out and I have not seen it since Disapprove
Both the hoist & stand I found local so I went to pick them up to save shipping.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 3:39pm
I bet I have the same chinese Enginge hoist and stand HarbourFreight and others sell ... LOL Here its Ebay or Amazone ...

The 4 Wheel Engine Stand is a bit unstiff. but nothing a bit reinforcment
could cure.

The Hoist does its Job not Bad.
Dont forget to make sure an EngineBalancer is included in the Sets they sell,
there are ones without.
The Crank of these Balancers are Crap, but they work well with a Ratschet, and make Enginemounting much easier.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
SnakePlissken View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakePlissken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 11:00pm
X 100 on the 4 wheel stand. Years back I had one get caught in a crack and it tipped shattering a new fuel pump and missing my foot by inches. The 4 wheel one I bought from Harbor Freight handled a big block Chevy which is quite heavy. 
1976 Matador & 1972 Gremlin
bruceg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the recommendations. I checked out a few places, then went for a slightly bigger stand from Northern Tool. The Harbor Freight 4 wheel unit looked good, but I went with something that looks like it stands a little wider. Looking forward to messing with my 195.6. Might go pick up the Harbor Freight unit as I also have a 232, and I don't want to just stick it on a pallet. 

Thinking a band saw, a drill press and some channel iron would be fun for building a custom non-movable stand for storing whatever I'm not working on - might talk with a tool and die friend to see if he still has toys. Unless anyone has suggestions for storing a 232 or 195.6 when it's not on the stand?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 9:24pm

I use something like this with a cross brace

To do this with.

This way I can move them around. You can see the base of one of my stands and the yellow thing above the motor is a oil pan from the motor on the stand.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic