TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic Closedregluing window glass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Topic: regluing window glass
    Posted: May/16/2010 at 3:21am
One of the things that has me confused.. the window glass on my 68 javelin appears to have been glued into the regulators.. or is there something Im missing? (I thought all glass was bolted in)

I need to reattach them as they are barely in the holders.. any suggestions?
Now how did I end up with 25 5/8" wrenches and 1 9/16"s ??
tmancusi View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 6:39am
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

One of the things that has me confused.. the window glass on my 68 javelin appears to have been glued into the regulators.. or is there something Im missing? (I thought all glass was bolted in)
I need to reattach them as they are barely in the holders.. any suggestions?

Look up this topic thread:
where-to-get-68-javelin-windows-fixed
This should be the URL:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/where-to-get-68-javelin-windows-fixed _topic17319_post155724.html?KW=#155724
goose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 11:08am
Thanks... I had searched on "regluing windows" ..So after reviewing that thread I have a couple questions, BillD mentions using urethane to glue the glass back in the holders on.. this is all thats wrong with mine,  Both of mine are out of the small channel on the rear only (the channels that attach the glass to the regulator arms). So I will probably redo the front as well. 

1)Is there a brand or specific type of glue I am looking for? im familier with epoxies and such but urethane glue I haven't heard of. 

2) How do you keep from injuring yourself as you beat your head against the wall after the first 3 hours of readjusting the glass?LOL

Thanks again

Edited by goose - May/16/2010 at 11:18am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 11:14am
Search for  javelin window
It's another hot topic. Through 1970 they used an adhesive. In short, clean things up, go to an auto glass place and buy a tube of urethane adhesive. They'll know what to do.........

goose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 11:18am
HAH HAH !!! Bill you  are too quick for me.. you answered the post as i was posting the questions.. thanks again!

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 11:32am
Urethane is the new epoxy, just use that.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
amcismeagain View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 9:19pm
I'd suggest you buy one of the window kits on eBait that connects the two channels together as one solid piece. It will prevent your glass from coming out in the future. I made several sets for fellow AMC owners, and it is the best $50.00 you will ever send on your 68-70 Javelin or AMX. The only better option is to install a set of doors from a 71-74 Javelin.
The HERD includes:
1970 BBB Mark Donohue
1973 Gremlin
1974 Gremlin X Levi's edition
1972 Jeep J4800 Camper Special w/ 454 BBC
1967 Malibu Station Wagon
goose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 3:02am
Thank you , Ill take a look and see if I can find them.  I sure dont want to do this again later.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 6:43am
Check out the other threads on this topic.
The issue is twofold:
The grease and lubes in the door get hard, stiff and dry, the window gets hard to crank
and
the adhesive that holds the glass to the brackets lets loose because it's old, not very good to begin with, and, because the grease is hard and stiff and the window is hard to crank.

If you fix it properly with the new adhesives - urethane, and if you clean and lube the window and tracks and adjust things properly, you won't have the issue anyway.
So in short, if you do it right, you don't really need the other quite expensive stuff, it's only a "feel good" or "insurance" thing.
They won't hurt anything, but are more of a crutch in case you don't do the job correctly to begin with. Do it correctly, nothing else is needed.
I've done many many Javelin and other AMC windows over the years - not a one has ever come apart again.
I guess I'm simply saying, IMO, they aren't needed or necessary, but if you have the 50 bucks, there's nothing wrong with 'em either.
(I just have problems paying that much plus shipping for two pieces of aluminum I can buy at Menards for under 20 bucks and use a drill press to put the holes in. The RM thing, I guess.)
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by amcismeagain amcismeagain wrote:

I'd suggest you buy one of the window kits on eBait that connects the two channels together as one solid piece. It will prevent your glass from coming out in the future. I made several sets for fellow AMC owners, and it is the best $50.00 you will ever send on your 68-70 Javelin or AMX. The only better option is to install a set of doors from a 71-74 Javelin.

Must be talking about the tie bars like in the pictures below?

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2099&g2_serialNumber=2

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2123&g2_serialNumber=2

I have a post some where on here of what I had to do to make them work. This was a kit I bought many years ago but only installed on the channels last year. They are not installed in the doors as I am redoing the whole car.

As Bill said you have to clean all the old hard grease out of the tracks so it works smoothly. After I did the tie bar to channels I took every thing to a auto glass shop and had them glue it all together.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic