TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Remove lower control Arm.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove lower control Arm.
    Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 10:27am
I want to remove the lower front suspension crossmember and lower Control arm assembly. Do I need to remove the springs in order to service the lower control arm assembly?

I am working on a 1959 series 10 big car that came with the 196/manual trans.  
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:29pm
For safety reasons, remove the springs first (with the proper tool) as it is under quite a bit of load.  I don't know 59's but I suspect it is similar to my 69.  If so, the strut rods, the ball joints, knuckle pins, steering arms, trunnions, spring retainers and springs are all connected to the lower control arms in sequence and the springs will be under extreme load.  That is also coupled with the trunnion connection to the upper control arms.  

There are some other removal "tricks" but I would not advise them as they can be dangerous.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Oct/08/2018 at 1:35pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 8:08pm
thanks, I used a spring compressor from Eastwood and then unbolted everything. went smoothly. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 12:18am
Awesome. Glad it worked. What are you working towards if you don't mind me asking?
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 12:00pm
I tore apart a low mileage parts car. I almost feel bad since the body and interior is in better shape than my car was when I bought it. It's still pretty rusty though around the front wheels and I think most people would pass on it if they saw the front frame rails. 

I need to replace my front suspension crossmember and the passenger side lower control arm mount. I hopped a curb and bent it out of shape. I also want to upgrade the springs and run a full bead of weld around the engine crossmember.   
nextofkin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nextofkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 11:51am
Witch coil spring compressor from Eastwood did you use?
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 2:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic