TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

remove trim rings machine wheels ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remove trim rings machine wheels ?
    Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 11:36pm
I just picked up a pair of rebel machine wheels with the trim rings attached. I read some were that to remove the trim rings with out damaging them you use a feeler gauge and run between the wheel and the clip area that holds the trim ring on ? What thickness feeler gauge do you use ? Any advice would be help full. I think the trim rings are harder to find than the wheels. I have had 5 wheels over time that i have sold and none have had the trim rings. The wheels have some surface rust and i plan on having them blasted and self etched primed and paint silver before selling them. Thanks in advance. Junk yard Dog. 
Here are some pictures of the trim rings. I think i did OK for a first timer but i think the trans oil soaked on them for a couple days and Dan Curtis said work the raze knifes away from each other and put a plastic puddy spreader between them then work it behind one as you move it around. Worked great. Thanks every one for the great advise. Dog.

Edited by junk yard dog - Sep/19/2018 at 4:37pm
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 9:19am
I don't know the feeler gauge trick.
I've had success by first locating all the clips, soak the clips by pouring down a little of my favorite penetrating oil (acteton/dextron 50/50), let it soak, take 1/16"annealed wire and fish it behind and under the clip and carefully pulling the wire up behind each clip - don't yank it! If you have fished the wire between rim and clip it will pull trough and loosen. If you have fished the wire to the back of clip itself it may come loose but you should see/feel if your having success before anything gets damaged.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 1:18pm
A true machine trim ring has no clips. It is a thin flimsy trim ring no double layers at the top edge. It is held in place by the very outside edge of the rim. The very outside edge of the rim has a roll init the the wheel weight locks onto. The trim rings I have look like they snap into the little roll in the rim, they also look to have some glue on the back side.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 2:50pm
Never seen that type, never owned Machine wheels.
If that is how they are fastened, and not doubting, then the feeler gauge or shim stock to remove would make sense.
I would try the following:
It would have to be fairly flexible but stout feeler gauge, 0.025" to 0.050", 6" long.
Find a gap from the center of the wheel were you can push the feeler gauge through.
Like a saw move the feeler gauge around just a little.
Insert a second and possibly a third feeler gauge.
Using the feeler gauge(s) like a saw, go all around the rim.
Then take the loosest feeling feeler gauge(s) and give the ring a tug.

This is like removing a stuck retaining clip that you really don't want to damage either part.

PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 2:57pm
I have a hubcap removing tool I bought from the MAC TOOLS guy. Works really well for this.

Tom
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 3:35pm
Pictured is the tool I use to remove Machine wheel trim rings.

Tap the blade of the knife down between the rim & ring. If there is a spot where rust is pushing the ring up, start there. Tap the blade down as far as it will go, less than 1/4". Then use a hammer to tap the knife around the wheel, sharp edge of the blade first. As you go around, the trim ring will release from the rolled over lip on the rim. Do not try & pry the ring off when it is half released, that will bend & damage the ring. Tap the knife the whole way around the rim to release the ring. I just did a Machine wheel trim ring using this technique last week, it took less than 3 minutes to remove the ring.

I have removed at least 12 rings using this method & haven't damaged a ring.

If the ring gets bent in a little where you started tapping the blade in, it is very easy to bend it back in place once it is off.

Use extreme caution when removing & handling the trim rings, the edge is razor sharp & will cut you bad if you are not careful!!! I was very careful with the one I just had off & still sliced myself.

To install the ring back on the wheel, start by centering the valve stem in the hole, & push that part of the ring down into place. About 1/2 or more of the ring will be hooked under the lip on the rim at this point. Next, take a piece of 3/8" fuel line about 12 or 18" long & lay it in the groove on the outer edge of the trim ring. Push down on the fuel line to push the ring into place. You may need to put a heavy foot on the fuel line to get the ring fully seated. Again, about 3 minutes to do this.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Pictured is the tool I use to remove Machine wheel trim rings.

Tap the blade of the knife down between the rim & ring. If there is a spot where rust is pushing the ring up, start there. Tap the blade down as far as it will go, less than 1/4". Then use a hammer to tap the knife around the wheel, sharp edge of the blade first. As you go around, the trim ring will release from the rolled over lip on the rim. Do not try & pry the ring off when it is half released, that will bend & damage the ring. Tap the knife the whole way around the rim to release the ring. I just did a Machine wheel trim ring using this technique last week, it took less than 3 minutes to remove the ring.

I have removed at least 12 rings using this method & haven't damaged a ring.

If the ring gets bent in a little where you started tapping the blade in, it is very easy to bend it back in place once it is off.

Use extreme caution when removing & handling the trim rings, the edge is razor sharp & will cut you bad if you are not careful!!! I was very careful with the one I just had off & still sliced myself.

To install the ring back on the wheel, start by centering the valve stem in the hole, & push that part of the ring down into place. About 1/2 or more of the ring will be hooked under the lip on the rim at this point. Next, take a piece of 3/8" fuel line about 12 or 18" long & lay it in the groove on the outer edge of the trim ring. Push down on the fuel line to push the ring into place. You may need to put a heavy foot on the fuel line to get the ring fully seated. Again, about 3 minutes to do this.

^great explanation, thanks!

I'll add my 2c and suggest good razor blades and eye protection,
cheap (or good) razor blades are very hard and can shatter.Ouch

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by junk yard dog junk yard dog wrote:

I just picked up a pair of rebel machine wheels with the trim rings attached. I read some were that to remove the trim rings with out damaging them you use a feeler gauge and run between the wheel and the clip area that holds the trim ring on ? What thickness feeler gauge do you use ? Any advice would be help full. I think the trim rings are harder to find than the wheels. I have had 5 wheels over time that i have sold and none have had the trim rings. The wheels have some surface rust and i plan on having them blasted and self etched primed and paint silver before selling them. Thanks in advance. Junk yard Dog. 
I guess i a in amc forum jail and can't respond to every ones suggestions. I am working on the razer knife with eye protection and soaking with trans fluid. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thank you.
69 sc rambler              
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 4:38pm
Sucess thanks you all. Dog.
69 sc rambler              
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
rebel70blue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel70blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 7:01pm
Just bought a set - here's how I pop the rings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9iEeaJuAfM

Edited by rebel70blue - Feb/25/2019 at 7:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic