TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

removing turn signal switch cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t7948gc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing turn signal switch cover
    Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 9:43am
I'm replacing the turn signal switch in my 68 Javelin, manual, with tilt column.  I'm looking for a kent moore J 22708 or J 22598 puller to remove the steering column turn signal switch cover.  I see one sold on ebay last December, but nothing lately.  Any tips where to find one?  This cover is on very tight, and I don't want to damage it.  I've tried a "conventional" puller but it only starts to bend the cover.  Thanks!  Gary
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 7:03am
I don't have the tool but I also don't know what this cover is you talk about could you post up a picture of it?

Maybe it has something to do with the tilt part as I have never worked on a tilt column.
I know the 70 on up you need a tool to push down the column lock to remove the wire lock ring to get to the switch.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
t7948gc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t7948gc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 8:44am
Thanks for your reply.  The 69 and earlier columns are a little different because they do not have the key in column, thus no lock plate to remove.  The service manual calls the upper column "bezel" (part that the turn signal lever, flasher button, go through, the "turn signal switch cover".  After removing the turn signal lever and flasher button you need to be able to "pull" this part of the column off in order to have the room to remove the turn signal switch.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 11:26am
So it is the outer upper part of the tilt column that needs to be taken off to re-place the switch?

WOW I would think you would pull the turn lever & 4 way button like you said, think 3 screws that holds the switch, pull the wire plug apart the pull the wires out of the plastic, tie a string around the wires and put them out. Tie wire around wires of new switch and pull thru.....

Another reason why I don't like tilt columns.
Sorry I cant be of more help as I just don't know what tool could be used to do the job.
Maybe doo a Google search for say 68/69 GM turn signal switch replacement on a tilt column to see what they used as I think they are the same columns?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 11:30am
I don't think it's necessary to remove the cover ( the cylindrical outer sleeve ) to remove the turn signal switch. Just push the emergency flasher switch in, remove the retaining screws and wiggle the switch out of the column. IIRC you'll need to remove the wire terminals from the plastic electrical connector at the end.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 6:13pm
I replaced switches without removing the cover. I did mine as george w explained above.
Mike
t7948gc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t7948gc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 10:11am
Again, thanks for everyone's help.  The issue is no different tilt vs. non tilt.  It may be that this particular column has the "cover" pressed further down, allowing for less room to remove the switch.  Of course I have tried "wiggling, bending and pulling on the switch, but the upper housing "cover" does not allow enough room to lift the switch up and clear the parts of the switch designed to locate the switch in the column.  Also, yes, I have googled the similar GM versions and found the same issue.  Kent Moore makes the exact same cover puller for the GM version, just a different Kent Moore PN.  I have been watching for both the J 22708 and J22598 (AMC/GM) versions to go on sale.  I have spoken with several mechanics from AMC's Burlington Test Facilities and they have each said "good luck", sometimes you can be lucky and get the "cover" off easily, other times you'll need the puller.  I'm not going to panic until the snow and salt leaves the area!  If I can find the puller, I'll fabricate one.  Again, thanks.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 11:25am
There should be a nut on the main shaft that holds down the upper cover..
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 12:17pm
Google is your friend.
http://tinyurl.com/ptxs578

Advanced auto parts.
You may be able to BORROW something like this from a AUTO NPARTS STORE.
NAPA????
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2015 at 6:37am
That's a lock plate removal tool. Available at most auto parts stores but lock plates were not used on the columns until 1970. He has a 69 column...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic