TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replace T10 with 5 Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 11:12am
I used the Chevy II TKO 600 setup from Keisler (now defunct) and a short bellhousing. The shifter came up in the exact location and fit nice. Went through the Hurst catalog and picked a new lever that I liked and the shift pattern is nice. Did have to raise the top of the tunnel to clear the larger tranny, but it was a lot easier than feared. I have a console in the car from a 71 Javelin (I think) and it fits excellent. Nothing is stock, but to a non AMC person it looks factory - pleased with the result.
Edit - just googled and SST purchased the Keisler stuff some years ago. They list an AMC kit.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Jan/31/2019 at 11:17am
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

curious if anyone has experience swapping a newer 5 speed into one of our classics? Specifically mating up to a 71’ 401ci that’s in a 70’ AMX. I don’t like the wide ratio T10 that I have in it, which is needing some work anyway. Just curious if there is a more modern 5 speed that might bolt up or at least have adaptor kits available for a Swap?

Bandana,

The forum's old friend John Elle was one of the first to do this swap back in the early 90s. I used his guidance for the following;
The White70JavelinSST has a BW T5 World Class 5 speed manual from a 93 Mustang GT. 
It's rated at about 300 lbs/ft of torque factory stock. There is one factory version a bit stronger but a lot more hard to find. The T5 WC will handle a mild 401 as long as you don't sidestep the clutch with sticky tires.
The White70 was an automatic car originally, however the shifter for th eT5 fit almost exactly centered in the hole in the tunnel for the auto shifter. You'll need a multi pattern bellhousing, and you'll need to either find the correct diameter input shaft housing or machine to fit. I chose buying a steel input shaft housing and machining it to fit the hole in the bell. Grab the output yoke when you buy a T5 trans. That yoke can be welded to a new driveshaft with the T5 yoke on one end and an AMC20 yoke on the other. Or I took a complete Mustang GT driveshaft and used both yokes. The Mustang shaft has larger u-joints, so I bought a u-joint for the rear of the shaft that has a big joint and smaller joint on it to adapt to the input yoke on the AMC20 rear end. There's a lot of info on this forum about the swap. It's easy. The toughest part is locating the parts and pieces. You've got a manual trans car already, that helps a lot. 
Here's one link. I typed  "T5 swap The AMC Forum" into a Google search and got a lot of hits.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jan/31/2019 at 11:44am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 11:51am
Forgot to mention, the T5 in the White70 has a 3:35 first gear and .68 overdrive 5th gear with a 3:15 axle ratio. With the auto in it the engine turned about 3400 RPM at 70 mph. With the T5 the engine turns about 1900 at 70 mph.  The engine works a lot less hard with that overdrive 5th gear. Changed the car like the difference between night and day. The car is absolutely a blast to drive.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jan/31/2019 at 11:54am
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 4:47pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 8:58pm
The AMC BW T5 will swap right in.  The Ford World Class T5 will need adjustments to the shifter location, speedometer cable, and the yoke.
Blessings
Richard
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2019 at 11:32pm
The original speedo cable will work with a T5 i believe.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 11:05am
hi, last year I put a Modern Driveline WC T5 in my Hornet, behind a (much modified) 258, and though it wasn't cheap, over $3000 for the trans alone, it was definitely worth it. thing drives like modern car. good luck! gz
george z
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by javelinman74 javelinman74 wrote:

The AMC BW T5 will swap right in.  The Ford World Class T5 will need adjustments to the shifter location, speedometer cable, and the yoke.
Blessings
Richard

The Ford World Class T5 needs either a modified input shaft cover, as the diameter of the Ford one is larger than the hole AMC provided in the multi pattern bellhousing and the Ford one is longer too. A cover sourced from an AMC T5 will cure it as well. I chose an all steel cover for a Mustang and had it machined to fit. The factory AMC and Mustang one have an aluminum extension on them that can wear out quicker.

Speedo cable is from a four speed car. The gear in the tailshaft of the trans may not be the correct one for the rear axle ratio you have. Tremec has gears that will swap in to correct that.

Not all 70 Javelin/AMX cars will need the shifter location adjusted when placing the WC T5 in a 70 AMX or Javelin, which is the car the original poster referenced. An auto equipped Javelin/AMX needs no mods. Other AMC applications I don't know about. My experience is that the shifter ends up almost perfectly centered in the opening in the tunnel the factory provided for an auto shifter for a 70 Javelin (same for AMX). The tunnel opening for a four speed car is probably not the same, so your car may need some hole mods. The only shortcoming might be if you are not as tall as I am, you may have trouble reaching a short throw shifter like the B&M ProShift in this photo. Regardless a different shifter lever should cure that issue.  As stated in my post a few ahead of this one in this thread, the yoke is easily dealt with as well. A different length driveshaft is needed, just get both yokes from the donor Mustang and have a new shaft fabricated. The front of the driveshaft has a bigger stronger u-joint than the AMC one. The big yoke at the back of the shaft gets mated to the AMC20 input yoke with a big and small end u-joint. The Mustang shaft is larger in Diameter as well. Easy Peasy.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Feb/04/2019 at 11:59am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 12:07pm
Since the OP has a '70 AMX with T10 the shifter will already be offset:

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 12:32pm
I agree though - if you already had an automatic there are more options, like mine with the console:

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic