TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

replacement idler pulley factory air 64 classi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacement idler pulley factory air 64 classi
    Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:17pm
I'm needing a new idler pulley for the compressor/power steering belt. The original one is sort all made as one piece, the pulley along with the stud/shaft. The stud is not round and fits into a corresponding hole in the bracket. I cut open the front side of the pulley and now have the shaft but have not been able to find the correct pulley to fit.

Any suggestions?  I've searched the amc suppliers but can not find one that's right. 
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 11:22am
Looks like the idler pulley may be there clearance the belt away from the fan pulley
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 2:36pm
I was able to buy one from a local parts store. I can't remember if it was just the bearing or the bearing-pulley combo. I'll have a look when I get a chance and see and get a manufacturer and part number.
SC
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 2:38pm
Whoops disregard my post. I see it is for '64. I was assuming 70's V8.
My bad......
SC
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 2:54pm
Sounds like a 73 and 71 idler. Looks can be deceiving. You unbolt the stud from the back side, and tap out the stud from the bracket. Clean out the back of the pulley, and you will see a clip at the edge of the pulley and the bearing. Remove the clip and pop out bearing and stud. The stud is held in place by the bearing, which the clip holds to the pulley. I use to know the measurements of the bearing. As at one time I had the whole thing apart.

You can do what I did with my serpentine belt mod. You can drill and mount a threaded blind rivet order a non grooved doorman or equivalent make pulley, and bolt in place. There are a number of odd replacement pulleys, but none look stock.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 4:07pm
The ID of the original bearing is 20mm, which is an odd ball. I'll either need to get the shoulder bolt turned down to 17mm for a standard pulley/bearing, or find a replacement shoulder bolt. I'm going to see if I can just do without it first. I don't have the new compressor mounted yet.
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 9:05pm
Got the Sanden compressor mounted. I don't really see a need for the original V idler pulley. There seems to be plenty of belt clearance on the original idler side. There is however a belt clearance issue with the power steering pump reservoir. The back of the belt is going to slightly rub the bottom of the reservoir. Not good. I'm guessing that with the added Sanden bracket maybe the AC pulley is higher and causing it rub. I don't remember there being a tight tolerance when I took the York off, but that's been a while.

I may be able to use the v idler bracket and flip it to the other side and add a flat idler to "lower" the belt angle as it goes into the power steering pulley.

Anybody else have this issue when putting the sanden on?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 4:25am
On Gen2 engines using a sanden some mount a center pulley, but that would be impossible to do being that the coolent manifold is in the way.

You may try some plate mounted on the upper water pump perimeter and have it draw the belt down, if room allows with the water pump pulley.

Not sure... Its been a long time, but doesn't the power steering pump reservoir have offset hole at the bottom for mounting against the pump. If so, then loosening the hold down inside the bowl and twisting the reservoir to rotate away from the front will allow clearance.

If not, maybe if handy, one could modify the reservoir to mount offset for clearance.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 11:35pm
I'm going to pull the fluid out of the reservoir and see if there is an option there. It really doesn't need much room, I may be able to modify it if it won't rotate. That would certainly be the easiest. 
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 8:39pm
I used a York to Sanden mounting bracket from eBay and the factory idler. Plenty of clearance.
I had a NOS Idler but I thought if needed t could be fab'd up pretty easy.

The belt is the same diameter as the York setup. So overall an easy swap.

I had to have new hoses made with my rebuilt receiver dryer and new expansion valve.

I ran a full can of cleaner thru the evaporator and another full can thru the condensor. Sure glad I did because I was surprised at the gunk that came out.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic