TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 6:55pm
Yes, I have ordered:

1 (8132829)-fender flair welt-AMX,GT at $55.00 each

I have not received it yet but hope to have it in the near future.

1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 5:57pm
Over the weekend,  I fit up the Concord/Gremlin GT flares to an 83 Spirit.  The fronts look like they will interchange.  The rears fit well at the quarter panel up to about the center of the wheel arch.  The front of the rear flares did not fit the Spirit.

So it looks like this will have to be a SPIRIT AMX flare set for the initial run because that is who is interested. 

I would like to compare my rear Concord flares to a set of rear Spirit flares sometime.

-----
I am still waiting for a spoiler but it is cold and rainy this week so that isn't terrible.
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 10:55pm
Confirmed with Kennedy that he had my order.  He told me he only had one piece of the fender flair welt.  There was a problem with the casting of one of the pieces of my spoiler which is causing my delivery delay.

There are a couple more hurdles to get over before an build order is placed.
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 5:31pm
Jeff Kennedy called last week and told me that he had my Air Dam and had spoilers back in stock.  It arrived on Saturday with the fender flare welt.  The welt is white with double side tape on one side.  it looks like the brittle stuff on my other flares.  

I would sure like to see some more activity on this thread.  I said I was in for up to 10 sets of flares to get this going. I can't foot the whole thing.  I still intend on visiting Mirror Image, probably on my way to Auburn, In to the AMO National.  I want him to see see a full set of flares.  I wanted to go earlier but I spend a lot of weekends on the road already.  His product will be like the air dam. 

I need to follow-up with a local guy who said he thought he could vacuum form the Concord Rear Flares.  He hasn't priced it yet and he started qualifying what he could do the more he looked at the flares.  I asked him to refer me to where I need to be but I think he may not pass up any work, if he can get it.  
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 4:22pm
Thanks for your effort to get these done.
I’m interested to see if the Vaccum forming is an option.
Keep us posted.
Dave.
MA2LA View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MA2LA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 7:09am
I am interested in a set for my 79. It's going to be about 2 years before I will need them but if there is a hold up on getting these things going I can see about buying them now
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 5:40pm
I have my second meeting with the Vacuum Former Thursday 6-14.  I am hoping he lets me know what kind of a product he thinks he will produce.  The originals were made in a mold.

The good news about vacuum forming is that he would use the same material that the originals were made with.  

I plan on getting a set of flares to Mirror Image and talking to them after I finish my conversation with the Vacuum former.  I still would like to see a set of Spirit rear fender flares to compare to my  Concord rear flares.

I will be at Auburn in the vending area.  I intend on having a spoiler with me and some original flares to see if we can drum up some more interest. 

Dave
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 6:23pm
UPDATE - I met with the vacuum former and he said that he could produce something but didn't think it would be as sharp as the originals.  Some of the angles wouldn't be as sharp and he wasn't sure he could get the right material.  He asked how I felt about ABS and I told him that I didn't think that would work.  He did offer for me to make the mold and he would charge me labor and material to turn out the Flares.  This would be quite a bit cheaper but quality/material remains a big concern.  He told me $1280 for the front Mold and $1280 for the rear mold.  He was going to try to form 2 flares per mold.  Price per set (2 each flares, front or back) was $460.  

I did show him the reproduction and original spoiler that I had.  He was impressed with the quality of the reproduction.  He provided a contact for a fiberglass fabricator in Ohio but I didn't pursue.

At the Auburn AMO Show, John From Mirror Image had an opportunity to come by and look at the flares that I had brought and a set on a 78 Concord AMX.  The Halversons had one Spirt Race car, Black Plague,  with flares on Saturday but John was there on Friday.  I had a reproduction and original front spoiler and 8 black flares (2 cars sets, 1 black and 1 blue painted black) and a single orange flare that was falling apart.  All were used.  In the sun, the flares and the reproduction front spoiler, where it was thinner, were  both softer and more pliable.  

John appreciated the opportunity to look over the flares and suggested that maybe we should try to do the front flares.  He and I would talk about the best process to get it done and get a quote the next week.  I have e-mailed him a couple times since Auburn but we haven't spoke yet.  
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 8:19am

Thanks a ton for the update 1MG!!  Many of us are waiting with un-flared Spirits and can't wait to get ours flared.
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
Vendire1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vendire1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 9:29am
Did you get enough people to get flares made from Mirror
Image.  I would be interested in a set. I have been away from forum for awhile.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
  Share Topic