TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Research Project: Mystery Matadors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research Project: Mystery Matadors
    Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 3:24pm
Hello everyone!

(I'm not sure if this fits in this section of the forum or not since it is a research project and not a mechanical one. If a moderator knows of a better section to put this then feel free to move it there.)

So I have been looking at the AMC production numbers recently thanks to Eddie at Planet Houston AMX. When I went through the 1971 production numbers I found something a little odd:

For those who don't know, those body numbers are for the 1971 Matador, 71=1971, 1=Matador, 5 8 and 9= Type of body, -7=Matador, -0 I'll get to. 

Now, the -7 at the end of half of the models is on every matador known to exist. If you notice, it shows that there were only 6 -0 models produced, 1 wagon w/232, 4 wagons w/304, and 1 hardtop w/360. What I am trying to solve is what these six cars were exactly. I have contacted Eddie at Planet Houston AMX and he said that this is a mystery that he's been trying to solve for 38 years now. I have (unfortunately) no evidence to start with except the number of cars produced and the body numbers.

Here's what I know, these are NOT the matador machines nor the matador "Go package," Those were body number 7185-2. The last 3 digits of the body number (2 for some) is on every VIN number. After looking through all the VIN decoders I could find, nothing mentioned a -0 having anything to do with the matador, I only found 1 source that said the -0 was for the 2-seater gremlin (which was true). So if any of you have worked at amc in 1971 or happen to know these -0 models. Please notify me, apparently this is a huge amc mystery and I think i'm the first one to start thoroughly researching it. Thank you! I will keep posting on this topic every time I find useful information.
1972 Javelin-AMX. 360-4v/727.
Butterscotch Gold (D5)
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 3:52pm
Possibilities (guesses by me):

special customer? (like the US Post Office)
export?
partially complete cars? (for conversion company of some sort?)
bodies in white wouldn't get VIN numbers would they?

Number of vehicles would be too low to be for Taxi Cabs, or Police Cars.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
danalog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 8:07pm
I did some more research and I might be on to something. In 1971, AMC sent out knock down kits to Australian Motor Industries (AMI) to use for the right-hand drive rambler matadors in 1972. These could potentially be those 6, not 100% sure yet though.
Butterscotch Gold (D5)
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 8:10am
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this fits in this section of the forum or not since it is a research project and not a mechanical one. If a moderator knows of a better section to put this then feel free to move it there
So I have been looking at the AMC production numbers recently thanks to Eddie at Planet Houston AMX...

No, not thanks to Eddie, they were gathered by Tom Benvie from AMC in the 1970s and shared with the hobby many years ago. Eddie just steals other people's work and passes it off as his own. You can find Tom's ID and contact him via this thread. Tom has done more research into AMC production numbers and build sheet codes than anyone.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/1968-weekly-production-numbers-update_topic95964.html

Edited by Steve_P - Sep/20/2018 at 8:13am
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 5:42pm
The - 0 is for a base model. Most likely a stripper fleet sale models . The five are station wagon most likely some local delivery type vehicle usage. The stripper two door could be some thing like a fire chief's car or similar. AMC did special literature for fleet sales for mostly police and or taxi cab type use. The other possibilities. LRDaum  
LRDaum
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 6:20pm
There was a factory sedan delivery wagon made, without a rear seat. There was a writeup about it in one of the AMC club newsletters a while back, with pictures. I can't recall what year that car was. The -0 could be those. 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 8:48pm
Tom B did collect much of this type of data,
when I saw the page layout I remembered him showing the Javelin data in a similar grouping long before anyone else had it. (long before the internet for that matter)

I personally wouldn't say Eddie stole it,
he has a pretty good web site, and puts the info out there for everyone.

Anyone using another's info should declare the source,
but the info is no good if it's not publicized,
so maybe Eddie could do it better but I'm glad he keeps his AMC pages going,
this hobby needs all the people promoting it we can get.Clap
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
danalog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

There was a factory sedan delivery wagon made, without a rear seat. There was a writeup about it in one of the AMC club newsletters a while back, with pictures. I can't recall what year that car was. The -0 could be those. 
I think you might be on to something there. I will see what I can find on that. Thank you!
Butterscotch Gold (D5)
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 5:36am
Flower cars for funeral homes. Saw an write up about one with pictures a while back.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic