TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Scarebird big brake upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarebird big brake upgrade
    Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 11:58pm
I just started the Scarebird big brake upgrade for my '69 Rambler.  I have to say, I've done drum to disc conversions before on a ChevyII and a BMW 2002 (rear), but neither were as nice as this kit.  I had the new rotors and calipers mounted in under 2 hours.  I opted to upgrade my master, proportion valve and need to fix the rears still, so it will be a while before I get to test it out.  Now, if I can only find some 15" steel rims that fit without spacers, stupid tie rodBig smile
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 10:07am
You might want to just go with 16". Easier to find tires. The only thing is you can't use the stock full wheel covers. I would think you could come up with some way to use the dog dish caps. Maybe some tabs that go over the lug nuts? 
Frank Swygert
Brendang2000 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

You might want to just go with 16". Easier to find tires. The only thing is you can't use the stock full wheel covers. I would think you could come up with some way to use the dog dish caps. Maybe some tabs that go over the lug nuts? 

I was kind of thinking it would be easier to go to 16's, and that's a good idea about tabs, maybe welding some tabs as I do have a full set of dog dish caps.  Wheel Vintiques has some steel rims that should work, 15x6 3.625" BS, but they're a bit pricey to me for a plain steel rim.  Right now, I have some spacers arriving tomorrow, will see how that goes.
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 4:02pm
I did the 16s on a 70AMX and had to get longer wheel studs for the "cragar 5 spoke" wheels. The lug nuts were only catching like 5 threads.
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 2:25pm
Well, I went with these as the price couldn't be beat.  They were on sale for $75 each. 15x7 for the front and I went with 15x8 for the rears at $91 each.  So a complete set of Torques for under $350.  The front backspacing is perfect and no spacers needed.  Still waiting on the rears, but with a 4.5" bs I'm guessing I won't need spacers there either.  Now I need to buy tires:( Anybody need a set of 14" steel rims with new 185/75 tires with a date code of 4916? lol

Originally posted by Perrybones Perrybones wrote:

I did the 16s on a 70AMX and had to get longer wheel studs for the "cragar 5 spoke" wheels. The lug nuts were only catching like 5 threads.

Hey Perrybones, do you remember what part number you used for the rear studs? I know the factory studs on the Rambler are going to be to short and need to be replaced with longer studs.  I'm going to use Dorman 610-523 on the front rotors.  Thanks!!
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 7:11am
I don't remember the part number, but I believe they were at least 1/2" longer than stock.
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 7:10am
On my rear I went with a 610-109 Dorman and drilled axles with a 39/64 bit. Worked like a champ. What wheel brand is that? and where did you get them, 4 1/2" rear back space.....hum good.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 10:10am
Originally posted by InRogue InRogue wrote:

On my rear I went with a 610-109 Dorman and drilled axles with a 39/64 bit. Worked like a champ. What wheel brand is that? and where did you get them, 4 1/2" rear back space.....hum good.

For the rears, I went with Dorman 610-441.  They press right in and are long enough to have threads showing pass the lug nut when tight with the aluminum rim.

Those are Jegs Sport Torque rims, from Jegs of course:).  The 15x7 has a 3.75" bs while the 15x8 has a 4.5" bs, perfect for my Rambler.  I have a different set of Jegs rims on my S10, and the only problem I have (so far) with both are the area where the lug nut goes is very small.  I needed to use tuner style lug nuts on the S10 rims and these rims I can only fit a 3/8" drive thin-wall socket.  Not the end of the world, but something to be aware of.  Might not fit anything if you have larger then 1/2-20 lug studs.  The rims are not hub centric either, so up front I used a 70.3 x 83  hub centric ring. It works with a little sanding on the interior portion of the ring.  If you can find a 70.8 x 83 ring, it'd probably drop right on.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 12:13pm
I'd did some checking and thought they were Rev wheels for a minute. Have you fitted the rear wheels yet with tires? And what size tires 60's....would love to see them and the Scarebird brake up upgrade with pictures if you took them. I have a '66 so it will work with what I have too.   Thanks
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by InRogue InRogue wrote:

I'd did some checking and thought they were Rev wheels for a minute. Have you fitted the rear wheels yet with tires? And what size tires 60's....would love to see them and the Scarebird brake up upgrade with pictures if you took them. I have a '66 so it will work with what I have too.   Thanks

I have not fitted any tires yet, still have a few weeks before this car goes down the road again.  But looking at the front trunnion, it will have to be a short (not tall) tire, so you're probably correct with a 60 series.  It also can't hang over the rim very far.  Plenty of room in the rear.  I've bought the front suspension upgrade kit that 343sharpstick made, see product announcements forum, but still collecting the other needed parts, so I'll be getting rid of the trunnion eventually.  Not sure if that will be now or later down the road, but tire selection will be better when I do.  This is the only picture I've taken so far with the brake/wheel upgrade and this was about 2 hours into it, lol. You'd think I'd take more pictures, but I always forget.  This still has the short lug studs.  I'm also upgrading the master/proportioning valve while I'm at it, so have to make all new hydraulic lines up front.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic