TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Seeking advice on repaint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineRusset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking advice on repaint
    Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 12:11pm
I have completely stripped out my ‘65 Classic 660 4-door for full in & out repaint.   I want the car to look like it did when it was new in 1965. I am told at that time, cars were painted with lead-based Enamel paint which is no longer available for health / environmental reasons. My current options are: Enamel (with no lead), Acrylic-Enamel, Urethane, and Base-coat/Clear-coat.   What I don’t want is the car to have a glossy look like I see at so many car shows; I just doesn’t look right to me. I wasn’t around in the 50’s and 60’s, but I can tell from old photos that cars were not that glossy looking when they were new. I have the paint chips from PPG so that the colors will be correct.

Once this project is complete, I will do the same with my '68 Rebel 770 4-door.

Thanks
-----------------------
-65 Rambler Classic 660 - 4dr AT
-68 Rebel 770 - 4 dr AT
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 12:59pm
Your car would have been painted in a acrylic enamel when new if this is any help to you in your decision making.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 1:50pm
The acrylic enamel that the factory used did not have a hardener in it so it cured at least partially by solvent loss. AMC used ovens to bake the paint and speed the solvent loss. Nowadays acrylic typically is formulated for use with a hardener which speeds the " drying" so it reduces the window for damage to fresh paint from dust or bugs. It is also more durable. I would go with acrylic enamel or single stage urethane for a factory look and do not sand and buff the finished paint. If you look at videos of the AMC paint line at the body plant you see that the guns put out a lot of paint and the painters really had to move quickly but they got really good flow out ( if that is a proper term) with minimal runs. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 10:37pm
Oven baked paint acrylic enamel, or even enamel was tougher than the modern 2 part acrylic enamel,  baked in a oven at 275 degrees cures paint much better than the chemical way, hardener is just a attempt to approach the toughness of oven baked paint.  
Then paint of that era had lead in it,  bad for the environment, and not kind to old bodymen, or children , lead paints are much more resistant to sun fade, than it's replacement in modern paint.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic