TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shimming hinges/hatchback alignment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shimming hinges/hatchback alignment?
    Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 7:49pm
    Since I've had the hornet I noticed the hatchback alignment was off, with the passenger side sitting maybe 3/16" to 1/4"  higher than the rear fender when closed. I've recently replaced the weather stripping as the old stuff was barely holding itself together. I took time installing the weather stripping, cleaning out the channel and making sure it was fully seated with raised portion facing inward like the original was.

When I first tried to shut it, it was tight enough that I needed to adjust the striker just to have it close. It's compressed a bit since, but the height gap that was originally there on the passenger side is now massive, maybe 1/2". The driver side is also up a good 1/4". I noticed the section of weather stripping closest to the roof next the hinges was being compressed a lot more than anything near the rear, so I'm wondering  what would be the best way to fix this. I think the weather stripping that's there will be able to compress more over time, but I'm also thinking that the gap is large enough that it's going to take more than just adjusting the striker down over time. 

Anyone have any experience/advice in regard to this? 

Connor 
1972 Javelin
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 8:12pm
Do you mean the hatch is above the right rear qtr. panel for it's entire length ? 
Or just at a certain area ?

It's best to adjust by adjusting the hinges,  and just use the striker to hold it closed.

Sometimes the hatch is warped, the flange that the weatherstrip clamps to is too high, lots of possibilities, lots of fixes.  
Hard to advise without pictures.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 10:00pm
Yeah in hindsight this is kind of a hard problem to explain without pictures. I can get better ones in the morning, but hopefully these help a little. 

1972 Javelin
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 10:43am
It looks like the hatch needs to be adjusted forward on the right hinge,  but I can't say for sure without seeing the gap across the top.
That might let the hatch settle more down into the opening.

It's easy for any hatchback to get warped,  you might have to put a wooden block under the left side rear,  and push down on the left, gently. Don't try this with a cold glass,  warm it in the sun first, or in a heated garage.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic