TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spot weld cutter..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spot weld cutter..
    Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 1:27pm
I am in need of one and I am not too sure what to get. Seems to be several different types. 
Suggestions would be great on what you use and what would be best to purchase for a newbie like myself. 
Thanks in advance...!!! 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 1:41pm
You get what you pay for.  I'm not sure what your budget is.  This is the tool I have, I've had it for years and cut 100s of spot welds.  I'm still on the original cutting head, even though I bought spares.
You can find the small set for about $60 online.

https://www.blairequipment.com/rotabroach-cutters

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 2:16pm
Blair is the one and only!
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 3:07pm
I bought the harbor freight ones.worked for what I needed it for.Removed a tail panel.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 3:34pm
I agree with the others... buy the Blair, you won't be disappointed. They definitely make the best ones on the market and they won't let you down like the cheap ones can and do..

Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 5:48pm
 While I haven't used the Blair tool, if it's cut 100's of spot welds and you are on the same cutting head, I'm sold !

I had a spot weld cutter years ago and it wasn't a cheapie. It wouldn't last anywhere near that long.

The Blair is the one I'd buy.

Rich C.

Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

You get what you pay for.  I'm not sure what your budget is.  This is the tool I have, I've had it for years and cut 100s of spot welds.  I'm still on the original cutting head, even though I bought spares.
You can find the small set for about $60 online.

https://www.blairequipment.com/rotabroach-cutters

Bob
tufcj

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 6:12pm
I used regular old drill bits when I drilled out the spot welds on my Comanche
(outer rocker and lower cab corner).

Wasn't really that hard, and I only drilled until the weld let go so smaller holes made for less weld to put back when I hot-glue-gunned the new pieces in. Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 6:40pm
I've owned a Blair RotaBroach set for about 5 years. I've only broken one cutter (spot weld size). The replaceable cutters are pretty affordable compared to the cost of the original set. Like I said previously, they are the best you can buy...

http://shop.blairequipment.com/Fractional-Rotabroach-Cutter-Kit-p/11090.htm

Edited by 71SC360 - Dec/25/2017 at 6:43pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 8:02pm
I like the Blair rotabroach, but the cutter (double ended) did not last through cutting off a Hornet hatchback quarter at the spot welds.  I intend to use it again if I ever need it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 9:00pm

+1 for the harbor freight cutter. About $10, has cut ~150 welds my javelin and still has some life left in it.
You only get one size (~1/4") and it might not be as fast as a more expensive cutter, but I have no complaints.
Plazin's Tips... center punch first, don't "gorilla it", let the tool do the work and rotate the angle a little as you go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic