TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spot weld cutter..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 6:14am
I totally agree on the Harbor Freight spot weld cutter. I used them to remove the trunk pan, quarters, roof skin.For the price (under$10) you get the double sided cuter that if used carefully will last thru hundreds of spot welds.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 7:20am
ditto on the harbor freight one it will do the job if questionable there cheap enough buy two never had any issue with one
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 2:13pm
I bought two HF sets and ended up giving the spare one away because the first one hasn't failed yet! Bought them specifically for cutting the cowl top off of a '62 Falcon and use the same one several years later to cut one off of a '69. Center punch every spot weld you can see, and let the tool do the work. Don't "gorilla" it, as has been noted before. Buy better ones if your budget allows, of course. One of the best tools I've got in my box. Right up there with electric sheet metal shears!
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 3:19pm
Here is a "Basics of Basics' on removing welds that may come in handy, there are many ways to accomplish it.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basics-basics-spot-welds-removing-welded-panels-222549.html

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by MARTINSR MARTINSR wrote:

Here is a "Basics of Basics' on removing welds that may come in handy, there are many ways to accomplish it.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basics-basics-spot-welds-removing-welded-panels-222549.html

Brian

Went to my new Harbor Freight store yesterday. Couldn't find what I was looking for so I asked the "cashiers" for a spot weld cutter. They looked at each other and by them doing that, I knew that I was not going to find one there. LOL
Great read and write up..!! 
Thank you... 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Went to my new Harbor Freight store yesterday. Couldn't find what I was looking for so I asked the "cashiers" for a spot weld cutter. They looked at each other and by them doing that, I knew that I was not going to find one there. LOL
Great read and write up..!! 
Thank you... 
Want to get a REAL strange look/reaction? Ask for a dwell meter at any so called auto parts store....

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 3:24pm
All Harbor Freight stores have them, They are in the isle with the drill bits , not easy to find but they are there. You can also order them online. 
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:28pm
I've used them my entire working career, and really the biggest thing is the operator, if you don't know how to use it you'll dull it or break it in minutes/seconds.

Used with patience and properly, you can make a cutting head last a very long time, but always good to have a handful of spares on hand so you can get the job done regardless.

You can just drill through them also, but leaving a solid flange on the metal you will weld to later is so nice and professional, it's worth using a spot weld cutter (properly) to ensure a proper fit and finish.
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 6:31pm
I've had better luck when asking for the part number on some items. The computer might tell them the isle location... # 95343 $4.99. It's listed as welding supplies, but my store had them hanging on the wall near power tools. 
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 7:11pm
I think that's what I probably should do. Is go in with part number in hand.
I went back down yesterday and looked again in the drill bit's.
Nothing.
Looked again in most spots that you'd think they'd be.
Nothing.  
Brand new store, so I can see where it might be hidden. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic