TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spot weld cutter..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 9:27pm
just call the store and see how many they show in stock.. i do it all the time
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 2:53am
The item number is 95343.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 9:25am
I have a few Harbor Freight tools and although they are cheaper to purchase I have had luck with them so far
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:24am
I agree with Dan390- the key is the Operator.  I bought the Blair cutters and would burn them up after 5 spot welds.  I didn't know what I was doing and it dulled/broke them very quickly.  I finally figured it out now they last for many spot welds. Let the tool do the work and don't force it.
Kbmwm3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2021 at 7:55am
Getting ready to start on project repair on 68 Javelin.....
Info was greatly appreciated.

Good topic,
Thanks,
Keith in Tampa
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2021 at 12:56am
you may only use it on this one project I have had good results with the harbor freight ones just buy 2 they are cheap enough
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Kbmwm3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2021 at 7:41am
Thanks,
You just saved me a second trip.

Keith
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2021 at 10:20pm
Most failures with spot weld cutters are "Operator failure" basically if you do it wrong it will shatter or eat the teeth right off, most people just think these will zing right through in an instant no problem.

No two spot welds are alike and none are perfectly flat around the weld. If you just hit it like a monkey at full speed and force, you'll be buying 5 gallon buckets of replacement cutters. Do it right, and like others have said you can make a good head last literally years.

I like to start above the highest point of surrounding metal at a low RPM, let the teeth lightly start to dig in and cut a circle outline, slowly applying downward pressure until you see a full circle.

If it constantly wanders off the weld and is getting frustrating, drill a small center hole so the spot weld cutter center guide pin will engage that hole, that should help. And that little hole is easy to weld up when you put the patch on later.

Then you can speed up and apply pressure, but remember you are only trying to cut through the outer layer of metal, and once cut it leaves the center nugget (the weld) behind.

That way you later grind the nugget smooth and you have a 100% solid inner panel to weld the new patch to, instead of filling holes like if you just drilled through the spots with a drill bit.

Patience and looking at what's happing while you do it is really the key to making ANY cutter work.

Edited by Dan390 - Oct/29/2021 at 10:22pm
Kbmwm3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2021 at 10:44pm
Thanks for the details.
Keith
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2021 at 8:05am
I found that drilling a pilot with a small centering bit first works the best to keep it from walking around. It makes the process much easier and cleaner. Also less frustrating. I had 2 drills so I didn't have to switch back and forth. I also ground the paint down so I could see the center of the weld first. I drilled a lot of welds out fixing my 71.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic