TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Summit Racing速 Tachometers SUM-G2886

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summit Racing速 Tachometers SUM-G2886
    Posted: Feb/13/2019 at 10:21am
Just purchased this Tach for my 1968 AMX with 390 C.I.D.. Talked to the rep at Summit and said it would work fine with the PerTronix Ignitor速 Solid-State Ignition Systems 1181 and the PerTronix Flame-Thrower Ignition Coils 40011 i installed in the AMX. My question is, what would be a good power source for the night light on this Tach? Headlights switch?

Thanks,
Jesse
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2019 at 12:20pm
That's where I would connect it. Maybe not right at the switch, that's a busy area, but tied into the wiring for the dash lights. Then they all dim uniformly.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
jesse View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 8:29am
Okay so i installed this Tachometer. It fit right where the old Tach went and it all worked great until 15 miles down the road. One i hit the first stop off the expressway she shut off. Cranked and cranked the motor with no response. I pulled the wire off the - post on the coil and she started right up. So now im confused lol.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 10:16am
Tach wire shorted to ground. That was my experience with an off topic car.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
jesse View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 11:21am
The new tachometer has a Red wire (Power), Black wire, (Ground), Purple wire (Dimmer) and Green wire (signal). The old tachometer had two wires connected to it, a Yellow wire and a Blue wire. How does the blue wire have a role now with this new tachometer? Oh and i connected the Yellow wire to the positive side of the coil and no response but as soon as i connected the yellow wire to the negative post on the coil it started to work. Then the engine stalled after a few miles down the road.
jesse View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 11:06am
Can someone tell me why this tach works on the negative post of the PerTronix coil and not on the positive post like the amc tach diagram shows?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 12:54pm
There are 2 different types of Tachometer
Stock vintage AMC are Current Trigger
Most aftermarket are Voltage Trigger

Current Triggered Tach - two wire connections at Tach -
from Positive Battery post to ignition switch to Tach to Coil Positive

Voltage Triggered Tach - three wire connections at Tach -
from Positive Battery post to ignition switch to Tach to Coil Negative.
Coil Positive wire is split off beween Ignition Switch and Tach.
Third wire on Tach is attached to ground.
jesse View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 4:19pm
I wanted to close this feed with my solution to the problem. What i did was run a dedicated wire straight from the tach signal wire to the negative post on the coil and that did the trick. My AMX no longer stalls after running a few miles down the road. Thanks to all that gave their input to this issue i had.

Jesse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic