TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

t10 v and shifter 68

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t10 v and shifter 68
    Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 3:39pm
so I seem to be finding out more and more on this 68 show car  it the best t 10 they made the v close ratio
so any one know how to restore the shifter and linkage to work like a hurst nice and tight.....
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 5:36am
try dme at 606 237 6648.
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 7:12am
Thanx
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 8:26am
You can rebuild it but it'll never work like a Hurst...
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 1:55pm
So that being said as a correct restoration I just want it to be as good as can be will those plastic inserts help and any other ideas
Gary
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 6:45pm
Gary,
  If you have the original AMC shifter, it can usually be cleaned up, lubed and reassembled with minimal effort, they're not that complicated. Unless it has serious corrosion or wear problems, the worst thing you might find is a broken or worn interlock washer. I have a selection of parts and several restored original shifters as well as brand new, improved shifter handles for the AMC shifter. You can see my new shifter handles on the Product Announcement page here on the Forum. The plastic inserts won't work with this shifter if it has the original shifter arms and the T-10 has the original gear selection plates. The holes in the gear selector plates were made to fit the shift arms directly, you would have to drill them out to make the plastic inserts fit. This is harder than it sounds as the gear selector plates are hardened steel, very tough. In my experience, the plastic inserts were used with the aftermarket shifters because the shifter arms were smaller in diameter than the original AMC shifter arms.
  It will never shift like a Hurst shifter, but a well adjusted, well lubricated AMC shifter will work quite well for 99% of us who aren't drag racing/power shifting. The biggest difference I've found is that the AMC shifter has a longer throw than a Hurst Competition plus shifter. That and the Hurst is noticeably tighter in it's shifter box, but also missing a reverse light capability.
  I've redone about a dozen of the original AMC shifters, they are actually the same shifter box that Ford used in late 60's Mustangs, so parts (including the interlock washer) are pretty easy to get. Let me know if you have trouble or need help with your shifter.

Terry Sumter
Nashville, Indiana

Edited by TX390AMX - Oct/29/2018 at 7:29pm
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 7:08am
Terry thanx for info I’ll work ithrough it and as I go I’ll ask for help as needed nice to be here and get help ....
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 7:29am
The problems with the Ford style AMC shifter are:
The rubber bushings in the handle allow a huge amount of handle slop
The basic mechanism design isn't good- it uses a tiny contact area when you shift- this means the mechanism wears very quickly and develops slop.  A Hurst doesn't because of its superior design which uses a large contact area.  

If you completely disassemble the Ford style shifter and weld up all the worn areas like new and then rigidly connect the handle to the mechanism this is actually a pretty good shifter.  I compared a rebuilt 68 with the handle rigidly connected it to an OE AMC Hurst that I also rebuilt and felt the 68 style was just as solid.  Saying that, after 10k miles I'm sure the Hurst will still shine and the 68 style will be sloppy.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 1:27pm
Steve_P
  You're right Steve, the AMC shifters will likely never be the equivalent of the better-designed Hurst's. The handle slop is something I've worked to minimize with my new shifter handles. (See info under Product Announcements). My new handles use a pair of spring loaded caps against this sides of the shifter box to keep consistent pressure on the shifter handle, minimizing slop/rattle, while eliminating the wear factor that makes the original shifters so sloppy after years of use without any lubrication. I agree, they are not as precise or as quick shifting as the Hurst Comp Plus, but for the purists among us who want an original style shifter/handle AND a back-up light option, these new shifter handles are a major improvement over the original design. And the chrome is top notch too, might as well have a new shifter handle that works well and looks good.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2018 at 6:54pm
How close to original are they
Gary
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic