TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - T5 Swap - What flywheel to use? And what clutch?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 Swap - What flywheel to use? And what clutch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Swap - What flywheel to use? And what clutch?
    Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:16pm
I'm getting ready to do the T5 swap on my 68 AMX, but need to figure out what flywheel to use. It's a 390.

Currently I have a TF998 in there, and used the crank adapter. The engine was balanced and they added weight to the crank as part of the process, so I doubt my flexplate weighting is anything near stock, especially as it was a 304 flexplate. Ultimately I'll have to take the new flywheel in to have it match balanced to the flexplate.

I plan to use a 77 Jeep clutch kit from RockAuto as they offer a Borg & Beck style:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=199893&cc=1309496

I'm thinking I should buy a flywheel for a 401 as it should be a good starting point for balancing, assuming weight has to come off.

Will the 77 Jeep 304 pressure plate have the same bolt pattern as the 401 flywheel? Anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Oct/25/2014 at 10:38am
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 8:25am
Bolt pattern is the same. I don't know much about the adapter... but a flywheel should work with it as well as a flexplate since there wasn't a difference in the crank for stick and auto. I'm assuming you have the adapter that required machining the crank. So you should be fine with the 401 flywheel match balanced to the current flexplate.

You may have to have a pilot bushing made, I'm not sure what the guys doing this swap have been using for a pilot bushing. One of the threads on e forum may say.

Here's a good article:
http://www.schwallers.com/Scott/AMC/64American/T5Swap.htm
Says to use a 77 Jeep CJ-7 304 w/three speed pilot bushing.

Edited by farna - Oct/23/2014 at 8:35am
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 10:55am
Good deal - thanks Frank.

The pilot bushing needs to be 0.668 (+ a little) ID and 1.050 OD, and the Doorman 690-043 does the job there.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 11:09am
If you find a 68,69, 70, or 71 390 or 401 flywheel you can toss the adaptor.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 4:57pm
I tried to use a Borg & Beck on my 1970 390 when I installed my T-5Z. Hard to explain without a picture, but the rivets on the side of the disc that faces the flywheel hit the flywheel, rather than the recess in the flywheel. The end result was a clutch that would not release. I then purchased a diaphragm clutch, that disc fit correctly.

But, I bought a good, but not performance, clutch. Now, after 1000 miles or so, the clutch slips. So, I would strongly recommend NOT using that Rock Auto clutch. Buy something from a performance clutch vendor IE Hays, Ram, McLeod, Centerforce. Then carefully inspect everything as you install it. Pay particular attention to the side of the disc that faces the flywheel. There will be rivets arranged in a circle. Make sure the diameter of that circle of rivets is smaller than the diameter of the round recess in your flywheel. That way you won't have to pull everything apart a couple of times like I did.

I still have to pull my car apart again to install a high quality clutch, just have to find the time. Sadly, I haven't been able to really drive it much due to the clutch. I wish I had spent more $$ to start with. A clutch is no place to bargain shop, install the best!

The pilot bushing I used was part # PB-76-HD. I got this from Advance Auto. A bushing came with the new clutch set, but it looked like garbage compared to the PB-76-HD.   
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 9:58pm
Excellent advice - thanks for chiming in here.

I'll dig deeper into the clutch thing before I pull the trigger then and get something more robust.

The Centerforce DF is about $370 at both Jegs and Summit, but they don't show any others for a 77 Jeep CJ other than stock replacement types.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 1:06pm
OK, how about something like this:

It's only rated to 380 ft-lbs, but truthfully if I put that much torque to the T5 it's gonna blow anyway. It sounds pretty decent, and not too expensive at $175.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

Excellent advice - thanks for chiming in here.

I'll dig deeper into the clutch thing before I pull the trigger then and get something more robust.

The Centerforce DF is about $370 at both Jegs and Summit, but they don't show any others for a 77 Jeep CJ other than stock replacement types.
I am sure this Jeep one (for a 304 v8 right?) is what I used in my Javelin w/360. Other than moving in & out of the garage a few months ago I have not used it to say how it will last.

Because the Center Force is a DF (duel friction) type it would be a step up from the lowest one CF makes for that Jeep.

I picked the CF DF after talking to a few guys that ran that clutch in Ford's 5.0 drag racing and they all loved it.
Dave ----

ps: yea you may be right the T5 may let go way before the clutch would but I did hop up the T5 when I rebuilt it.
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 10:43am
I talked with Phoenix Friction yesterday and like them alot. After talking a bit I really think that the Stage 2 dual friction would fit the bill perfectly for me.

The pressure plate has a little heavier spring to it than stock, and the disc should start to grab on the organic material and not chatter like full ceramic would, then eventually be held with the ceramic against the flywheel once the clutch is fully released.

The pressure plate is the same on they would use on Chevy 327s and 350s.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 11:26am
Is the pressure plate a B & B 3 finger type or diaphragm type?

The Center Force DF setup is a diaphragm type and is easy on the leg and after needing to fix my clutch linkage from a heavy PP, should be easy on linkage too.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic