TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

That time you changed lifters.. .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That time you changed lifters.. .
    Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:15am
Did you get all anal about cam position sequenceing?
.asking for a friend
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:47am
Not really, should I have? Slathered them in assembly lube and dropped them into the bores, then installed the pushrods and then the valve rocker shaft.... runs like a sewing machine now. Only a couple of the originals showed excessive wear on the faces, by the way.... but, since I was doing those, all twelve was good insurance.
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 8:06am
I wonder.
All the preload torques would be square.

Mine ran like a sewing machine too. Doing a cross-stitch.

.my pcv failed. Long story short- stuck valve ruined its lifter
Good thing I’m emissions exempt...cause puke can is going to replace pcv
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 6:54am
If using new lifters just drop them in. If re-using lifters on the same cam, make darn sure they are dropped on the same lobe they came off of.

If using old lifters on a new cam.... well, I wouldn't do it. Shouldn't matter where they go in in that case, as the new cam and old lifters will have to wear into each other. That's why I wouldn't put old lifters on a new cam -- asking for trouble. Might work fine, but lifters are cheap enough that it's not worth wiping a cam lobe to save a few bucks.  Costs too much to resurface the lifters unless you just can't find new ones, and then you run into grinding through the hardened face of the lifter, depending on how it was hardened (most are surface hardened just a few thousandths).
Frank Swygert
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 7:09am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

new lifters just drop them in.

Does it matter which direction I drop them in?

*I dropped one of the old ones as it was coming out, it almost went back in the hole...flat side up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic