TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqe-tube gasket?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2015 at 4:49pm
Emailed Blazer's today to see what their pricing was like.  They have 1 in stock and want $279.00 for it!  Ouch!  So I've called Galvin's to see if theirs is in stock.  Unfortunately nobody picked up, so I'm waiting for a call back.
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 11:00am
Does anyone know the difference between the V8 and the 6 cylinder trunnion?  I have the opportunity to buy a trunnion from a forum member, but am unsure which I need.  I have a 232 6 going in it, but it's a wagon and I know they put V8 springs and brakes on them due to the extra heft of the wagon body.  Would I need the 6 cylinder or the V8 version?  Or does it even matter?  On Galvin's website, the pictures look the same to me!

Thanks!
Ray
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 11:51am
think the bearing is different between the 2.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 12:04pm

The Trunnion and tube are the same.  The shaft, CV joint and carrier bearing are different.

I have a NOS bearing for the 6 cyl cars and the part numbers for the V8 are different. 

Your option if the TT your are getting is a V8 set up is to pull and move your shaft and bearing over.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 12:49pm
As long as the rubber trunnion is the same, I should be good.  That's all I'm replacing.  Thanks guys!
amcman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 6:02pm
    www.nashramblerrubber.com  has torque tube trunnion stabilizers for Rambler up to 1962. All the older Ramblers and Nash use a different style of trunnion cushion. They look like a 9 or 10" rubber doughnut and are injection molded with the factory correct groove to fit over the flange. Got one for my 57 Rebel and it was easy to change because there was no gluing. Just fit between the torque tube and transmission. Got the old one out, it was just too soft from oil.
   All of the Nash Ambassadors and AMC Hudson Hornet use the same torque tube trunnion up to 1957. Replacing the trunnion made the car drive straight again and was a whole lot easier to change than trying to modify the driveline.
   If you have an older Rambler a new torque tube trunnion gasket will do the trick.
   Jim

Edited by amcman - Sep/05/2015 at 6:19pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by amcman amcman wrote:

www.nashramblerrubber.com  has torque tube trunnion stabilizers for Rambler up to 1962. All the older Ramblers and Nash use a different style of trunnion cushion. They look like a 9 or 10" rubber doughnut and are injection molded with the factory correct groove to fit over the flange. Got one for my 57 Rebel and it was easy to change because there was no gluing. Just fit between the torque tube and transmission. Got the old one out, it was just too soft from oil.
   All of the Nash Ambassadors and AMC Hudson Hornet use the same torque tube trunnion up to 1957. Replacing the trunnion made the car drive straight again and was a whole lot easier to change than trying to modify the driveline.
   If you have an older Rambler a new torque tube trunnion gasket will do the trick.
   Jim

IInteresting
amcman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2015 at 11:31am
The V-8 torque tube trunnion is different from the 6 cylinder. It has to be more resistant to hotter temperatures of a V-8, and it is the correct hardness. The trunnion has to flex, and will get softer with the extra heat and torque of a stronger engine, and over time. At least for cars up to 62. The V-8 one is molded from a different and more heavy duty material, needs to be firmer. Also is oil resistant. I am only speaking for the part up to and including the 1962 Ramblers, and earlier Nash  that goes directly between the transmission and covered driveshaft.  I think the later ones are different shape and need to be adhered to the inside the torque tube, not slipped around the flange.  You didn't say what year your car was.

Edited by amcman - Sep/10/2015 at 11:35am
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2015 at 12:36pm
65 Classic Wagon with a 232.  It's the later version where it's adhered to the tube and the flange fits around it.  I worked out a deal to get one from a forum member, so hopefully it works out!

Thanks!
Ray
tubular_joe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 12:05pm
When I pulled the engine for rebuild the jack supporting the tranny slowly collapsed and I think it tore that trunnion on the torque tube, because now I get a wobble at about 30 MPH when driving on old sectioned concrete streets. You can see the shift lever follow the wobble. Lightly braking stops it. I'm thinking I need a new one. Thoughts??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic