TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 5:26pm
Not sure on the Sniper specifically, but some folks have had issues with the full height plenum divider on the AMC version of the Air Gap with an EFI throttle body.  A 1" spacer or milling the plenum some helps.  I know for sure it's been an issue with Terminator throttle bodies.

1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Not sure on the Sniper specifically, but some folks have had issues with the full height plenum divider on the AMC version of the Air Gap with an EFI throttle body.  A 1" spacer or milling the plenum some helps.  I know for sure it's been an issue with Terminator throttle bodies.

Guess we'll look at that when we dyno this thing. The current engine has the Edelbrock Air-Gap and a Holley 4150 carb with a 1" spacer.

Got the oil pump assembled and the timing cover damper seal in place. Also fitted the oil pickup tube and the oil pan. Needed some tweaking. Next I'll install the dipstick tube. Thought I had one somewhere around here but can't find it.

rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 1:19pm
If you are going with headers, it is useful to cut the dipstick tube closer to the block and use a slightly larger diameter sleeve to connect the two pieces of tube. I did this so I can take the headers off easily without having to remove the dipstick tube completely from the block. The tube will usually get in the way of the headers.
DWR
1968 AMX

Jims69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 10:03pm
Was this build at Triple R? I pick my 390 up from there tomorrow, so I can begin assembly.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Jims69 Jims69 wrote:

Was this build at Triple R? I pick my 390 up from there tomorrow, so I can begin assembly.

Sure was. They asked me if I had a spare bell housing lying around so they could find a way to couple AMC engines to their dyno. They told me they were doing a 390 for a customer in Peoria.

-Steve-
wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

If you are going with headers, it is useful to cut the dipstick tube closer to the block and use a slightly larger diameter sleeve to connect the two pieces of tube. I did this so I can take the headers off easily without having to remove the dipstick tube completely from the block. The tube will usually get in the way of the headers.

I have always hated the ugly AMC dipstick ruining the look of my nice valve covers.  What I do now is cut the tube a couple inches from the block and then cut the dipstick and mark it. It now sits low and out of the way. I tried the Buick GS stick which has no tube and seals to the block directly but kind of hard to see the hole
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 7:47pm
Bolted the timing case on and temporarily bolted the oil pan (still need a dipstick tube) so I could paint the engine. Amazing how fast it goes when you're not painting the intake, heads and pan!

Jims69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 9:33pm
that’s me.... I have that spare bell housing if you need it for Dyno session. I saw your stuff in the machine shop when I visited. I’ll bring my bellhousing with me tomorrow. Just in case. In fact I’m going to post my build right here in projects as well. 

Edited by Jims69 - Feb/27/2019 at 9:36pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Jims69 Jims69 wrote:

that’s me.... I have that spare bell housing if you need it for Dyno session. I saw your stuff in the machine shop when I visited. I’ll bring my bellhousing with me tomorrow. Just in case. In fact I’m going to post my build right here in projects as well. 

I loaned them my T-10 bellhousing, they should be covered.

Look forward to your build pics.

-Steve-

Jims69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 9:57pm
ok glad you have it covered
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic