TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torque converter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

The stock 727 converter stalls at 1800.

Cool. Didn't know they stalled so high. Definitely better than the 1200 my Borg Warner started out as.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 1:41am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Too bad there isn't a lock-up converter made for the older trannys! Would have to be centrifugal or maybe some kind of magnetic proximity switch (or even a radio unit like the tire pressure sensors).  Centrifugal might work, but would lock in all gears if used in a drag car and would have to unlock quickly for max acceleration or might be hard on changing gears... but that could be a good thing for drag racing...

A lockup converter in a 727 would be pretty slick.  I can't imagine engineering and fabricating something would be even remotely feasible though.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 1:53am
I was able to pick up a used Mopar 10" Turbo Action S-800 for a couple of hundred dollars, which is very very cheap as far as Australia goes, lopped the ring gear off and now it's an AMC converter. Could be an option if something like that happens to fall in you lap as it did for me.

PS: You do need to make sure that you get one for an internally balanced Mopar engine.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 1:53am
Speaking of 727 converters though, I'm told the converter in my 727 behind the 360 in my Sportabout is a 258 converter.  I guess some FSJs had a 727 behind a 4.2.  Apparently the magic is that the increased torque of a V8 will stall one of those higher than the 6 cyl would and that they already were slightly higher stall converters to get revs up with the smaller engine.  Beats me, but I'd guess this thing stalls around 2100 or so.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 6:12am
Yes, the 727 was an HD option behind the six. According to Novak the AMC 6 used a TF999 80-87. I couldn't find a reference to what was used behind the six earlier, but was likely the TF998 or 999 (don't know when the 999 came out, but 998 was first....), and a BW M8 behind the Tornado in the early 60s, most likely behind the 232 since it was sourced from AMC through 71 as well.
Frank Swygert
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Speaking of 727 converters though, I'm told the converter in my 727 behind the 360 in my Sportabout is a 258 converter.  I guess some FSJs had a 727 behind a 4.2.  Apparently the magic is that the increased torque of a V8 will stall one of those higher than the 6 cyl would and that they already were slightly higher stall converters to get revs up with the smaller engine.  Beats me, but I'd guess this thing stalls around 2100 or so.

So the converter from my 258/904 Will work perfect with my 727
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 10:50am
love the color....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2018 at 6:29am
Finaly made up my mind and orderd some stuff for the transmission.
TCI Brakeaway converter 
Bolt in sprang 
Front and rear servos 
And a high performance rebuild kit. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic