TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 Engine Cross Member identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 Engine Cross Member identification
    Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 9:27am
Sorry if this is redundant but I am a new member and haven't quite figured out how the forum works. I have a what looks to be a new engine cross member that I had originally purchased when I had my SC Hornet many years ago but have forgotten all info that I had about it. Is there any way to determine visually what it will fit (models and years)? I am trying to list it for sale and don't want to give false product information on the part. Any help will be much appreciated. I have been away from the hobby many years but look back at pictures of my 71 SC Hornet and wish that I had never sold it, such a sweet car it was and still would be!! Cry  
Samuelsc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 11:33am
If it is for the SC there will be 2 round holes on one mount bracket and 2 slotted holes on the other side.
1971 SC360
1973 Ambassador Sedan 360
1973 Hornet X 360
1973 Javelin AMC 401
1975 Sportabout X 258
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 3:18pm
Oh shucks, you are talking Front Crossmember, not the Trans Crossmember...  doh !
EDIT - added IPM FRONT Crossmember listings below....

These are the Trans Crossmembers from the 1967-72 AMC Illustrated Parts Manual :

1967-72 Illustrated Parts Manual FRONT CROSSMEMBERS :

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Aug/12/2018 at 3:32pm
Samuelsc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 6:28pm
The title of his topic was "V8 Engine Crossmember Identification". My mistake.
1971 SC360
1973 Ambassador Sedan 360
1973 Hornet X 360
1973 Javelin AMC 401
1975 Sportabout X 258
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 6:37pm
Uh oh, I see from the listing that there is a different number for an SC/Rambler rear crossmember and a '69 American crossmember.  What is the difference?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 9:50am
SC/Rambler used a T-10 four speed only. Others would be for a three speed. Must be a mount difference... Could also be for the dual exhaust of the SC/Rambler...

Frank Swygert
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 7:54am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

SC/Rambler used a T-10 four speed only. Others would be for a three speed. Must be a mount difference... Could also be for the dual exhaust of the SC/Rambler...

I suspect dual exhaust might be one of the differences too.

67 american 290/4speed
Bernie View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 1:20pm
Thanks dude, I assume the numbers to the right are part numbers, if so are they stamped into the part and if yes where, I can't seem to find any numbers on mine for the front or tranny. The front member has a paper tag affixed but long faded, any information would help as interweb searches show me nothing. 
Bernie View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 6:50pm
How can I post some images to this thread??
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2018 at 1:20pm
I am unaware if the part numbers are on the crossmemebers but I guess the part number info might give some "clues".
You have to have ( 30 ) forum posts before you can post pictures.
Here's a picture of the V8 & 6-Cyl Hornet Crossmembers, IF one can trust internet descriptions...
So I can't say I am "sure" this picture is correct....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic