TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 Forged Crankshafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 4:10pm
There were many smaller displacement V8 Forged Cranks made back in the late 60's and early 70's.
Several race teams successfully used the AMC v8 in various bore/stroke configurations from Penske to Wally Booth and many local dirt track competitors.
It would have used the same readily available forging as the 390/401 cranks with obvious differences on the crank journal location.
I think there have been some for sale here in the past.
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 10:33pm

Ok Here is a Trans Am Spec sheet from Kaplan.
The crankshafts and Rod were FORGED steel Group 19 Parts, NOT cast factory installed parts.

Here are pics of my Forged crank and rods. Note the date code on the crank. This crank was prepped by Velasco Crankshaft and has marking from them. It was zero balanced and the journals were chromed when I got it. I also had long ago a Moldex crank that was a shorter stroke.

If you have seen a stock cast 290-343 rod you can see the difference in
size and strength of forging vs the casting. Note: the rods were polished and shot peened , not as forged.

Bob

Edited by bwamx - Jul/31/2018 at 10:41pm
Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 5:34pm
One thing about the forged cranks. They were very hard on the production tooling. The tooling had it's cutting speeds and feeds optimized for cast iron.
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 6:20pm
The 327 was used through 1968 by Jeep. Did all those have forged cranks?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by bwamx bwamx wrote:

Ok Here is a Trans Am Spec sheet from Kaplan.
The crankshafts and Rod were FORGED steel Group 19 Parts, NOT cast factory installed parts.

Here are pics of my Forged crank and rods. Note the date code on the crank. This crank was prepped by Velasco Crankshaft and has marking from them. It was zero balanced and the journals were chromed when I got it. I also had long ago a Moldex crank that was a shorter stroke.

If you have seen a stock cast 290-343 rod you can see the difference in
size and strength of forging vs the casting. Note: the rods were polished and shot peened , not as forged.

Bob

Thanks for posting the Kaplan specs Bob!

Very interesting!
Though it lists the Forged 290 crank as 3.26,
I think thats a misprint and they meant 3.28 (since a 3.26 stroke with the listed bore  of 3.842 would = 302" and not the 304" total, as is they list for CID).

^until I did the math I started thinking maybe there were two short stroke forged cranks (3.26 and 3.28).

I do believe these were factory,  over the counter Forged Steel 290/343 cranks, and the Arma-Steel (cast) cranks are just confusing the issue for many after all these years.

Your pictures and sheets should help prove that.

Thanks!
Jim
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 11:46am
Jim,
I had to remember where I had the info.. Too much stuff. If I only had the cash back in the early 80's I would have had a lot more AMC race parts. Had a chance to buy the AMC alum block & heads, various other cranks & AMC webber intakes . Glad to help, funny thing is now I reread the spec sheet, I remembered the Engle cam. The one I run in mine is a Custom Engle cam that has different specs and is 
listed on the cam card as best for road racing. Now I have to pull an old Engle catalog out tonight when I get home.

Oh and the crank and rods are still holding up well. Was at the Dover Drag reunion at Lebanon Valley running yesterday @ 7600+ RPM.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic